*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807406-Better-Than-School
Rated: E · Book · Family · #1953696
Family history and lessons learned growing up, the people who influenced my life.
#807406 added February 17, 2014 at 6:00pm
Restrictions: None
Better Than School
A very warm review of one of my essays made me think of the wonderful memories of my childhood years. I had written about my mother, all of the things she taught me, and I have carried that time and experience with me through the years. Growing up, I learned how to crochet, type, cook, iron, make change from a cash register, fit and sell shoes, studied nursing and real estate. You see, everything my mother studied or wanted to learn, I studied with her. I feel that this was the greatest foundation for my life long lessons. I could write a book about my mother, which I plan to do, but I need to cover the lessons I learned from my dad.
He was a self made man, not book smart, but common sense smart. Dad could fix anything, and back then he took care of the repairs on our cars and the house and yard. Years ago, most people didn't have the money to pay someone to repair cars, etc. I watched dad take apart engines and put them back together again.
I knew the engine and the parts, along with changing tires and the oil. Dad never wanted me to be stuck on the side of the road, so I was grateful I learned a thing or two about cars. I was blonde, but not a dumb blonde. All of these lessons paid off and have helped me make it through my life. I was so blessed to parents such as mine.

© Copyright 2014 50's Child (UN: busytexaslady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
50's Child has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807406-Better-Than-School