*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/812824-This-ones-about-12-staples-and-no-sauce
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#812824 added April 6, 2014 at 10:38pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about 12 staples and no sauce.
30DBC PROMPT: I'm so confused as to what's going on at the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS right now. Too many rules and stipulations and I don't feel like reading or being compliant. I'm honored though that there's a drink named after me in Andre's Banana Bar...and that alone is enough for me to consider it a quality establishment.

What's up y'all? I figure it's a good time for me to check in and see what's goin' on around here. No, this isn't a legit comeback...that'll probably happen in May to coincide with the next "official" 30DBC. I'm gonna take my time, make myself comfortable, and move on from there.

Before I talk about me, which I'm sure you're dying to know more of, I need to say a few words about yesterday, which in my opinion was one of the sadder days in the many years I've been a WDC member.

As I'm sure many of you have heard, Emily will be phasing herself out of WDC in the coming weeks. Included in this will be her relinquishing control of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, which has become under her leadership one of the best activities on WDC. She restored faith and sensibility to a fickle group that was largely dismayed by its then-current leadership. Emily went above and beyond what was required of her, and ensured that the 30DBC would not only survive and thrive, but that the concerns of long-time participants would also be met. That's huge, and I don't know that I ever thanked her properly for that. In fact, everyone who's taken part in a 30DBC the last few years should step up and acknowledge all that Em's done for us and the blogging community. I shudder to think what the virtual landscape would look like without her presence (Sister Mary Margaret, anyone?).

I'm very thankful to see she'll be leaving the 30DBC in capable hands, whomever that may be. Nobody likes change, but the transition shouldn't be too hard. I don't know if there's any speculation about who should undertake the group, and it's not my place to try and get involved. I know who I'd like to see leading us, but again, I'm not at liberty to spit names based on speculation or "what I want". Besides...what weight does my opinion carry, and I think the change would've already been made if it was who I thought it'd be given to.

But hey, let's celebrate Emily while we've still got her. Her impact is immeasurable, and she will certainly be missed.

BCF PROMPT: Not sure what's happening here either...the *Stop* sign is up; does that mean I'm not allowed on Sunday to write for Saturday's prompt? Pshhh...whatever. I don't even know what the latest prompt was; lately I've just been in a mass-delete kind of mood when it comes to emails. That's a habit I'll have to break myself from sooner than later.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Dunno why, but I couldn't get this out of my head this morning...



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

12: So yes, last Tuesday I had surgery on my left ankle for the third time; I had the last of the screws and the plate taken out ("Note: Hi everyone...surgery went well and I'm restin..."). Today I finally decided to brave the wound and investigate it a little...turns out this time I wasn't stitched up, but stapled. Twelve times to be exact (if my math's right). I've been trying to take it easy the last couple of days, letting modern medicine do its thing. But I've never been stapled before, so I can't imagine when it's time for them to come out it's gonna be an easy thing. I wanna take a second though to thank everyone who sent kind wishes my way...I'm so appreciative and lucky to know people were concerned about me.

*Smile* I don't remember anything about the procedure at all...I specifically requested to be sedated throughout. I do remember being in the room with my mom when the doctor first came in to mark up my leg and reassure me that it was gonna be easy. He even tried to lighten things up by drawing a smiley face on my leg, which I really didn't think much of. Next thing I knew, I was shot up...and I awoke in the same room (I have no recollection of being in recovery or anything). Later that day I was going over my orders from the hospital about what I could and could not do, and I'm totally at a loss why the doctor decided it was somehow funny or cool to draw a smiley face on that form...

A curious message from my doctor.


*Chicken* When did McDonalds stop offering hot mustard sauce with their McNuggets? I don't eat there very often, but when I do it somehow turns into a spectacle. We went there Tuesday night because I couldn't make up my mind and there was one around the corner from the hotel we stayed at, and McNuggets are my go-to staple when I don't know what I want. First I was confused because the girl at the counter was training someone else, and she greeted us with something along the lines of "She'll be helping you today", which I didn't know how to respond to, so I kinda looked at nobody while placing my order. I then learned about the "no hot mustard" situation, and was offered honey mustard instead (which I find to be thoroughly gross). I settled for Buffalo sauce, and continued with my order...one fresh, hot apple pie. I was then informed it would be an eight minute wait, because apparently dessert items shouldn't be ordered around peak dinner times like 7pm. I told the cashier doing the training that I was gonna fight her, and that I "had a rough day" (because I'm standing on crutches in pajamas while hazed out on Tylenol with Codeine). The next day, after doing some shopping, we stopped again at a different McDonalds (it was next door/across the street from some of the stores we visited)...and no hot mustard sauce! It's been discontinued! I literally backed up, cancelled my order process, and said "This changes everything." I'm very upset by this. I remember when Chicken McNuggets were first introduced at McDonalds...some girl was holding a sandwich board-style tray giving sample McNuggets out, and hot mustard was my sauce of choice. Sure, I'd occasionally go for barbecue, but their bbq sauce has always been kinda gross and it's only good for dipping fries in (and McDonalds' fries are gross in a whole 'nother entry kinda way), and I don't think I even tried the sweet 'n sour sauce until I was in my 20's. I believe I was six years old when McNuggets became a thing...and you know what that means...

Me, age five or six.
The clown has let him down.


*Dollar* I did manage to get some news jeans the other day, thanks to my mom...which is kinda ironic because I needed them but won't be able to wear them while I'm rockin' the sweet inflatable boot on my cranky shitkicker. Adam Levine, I don't care for your music one bit, but thank you for putting out a line of clothing that would eventually be marked down at Kmart. Jeans that fit my fat ass for $4? I'll take 'em.

*Glasses* Also picked up my new glasses, which kinda help me see better. But they're a pain in the ass to keep clean...the lenses tend to wear smudges more frequently, which sorta negates the purpose of clearer vision.

Finally got new glasses.
No new selfies from this point on.


*Football* If you need a feel-good story about someone who's gone through an excruciating injury and a lengthy recovery, I'm not your guy. http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/everett-finds-peace-as-a-husban...

*Sleep* It doesn't get much more embarrassing than having a rather filthy dream and talking in your sleep about it, and then dreaming that your mother is chastising you because of it, only to wake up and realize that yes, you were talking in your sleep and no, she did not talk back to you, but you had to clarify that you were indeed talking in your sleep and why the next morning while sharing a hotel room with her.

Well, I think I'm done here...I'm sure many other things have happened in recent days or weeks, and I'm sure I've had something to say about them, but I hear a bottle of painkillers and a pillow callin' out my name. It's been nice catching up. Peace, so spaced out, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


Searching "broken leg" anything on YouTube doesn't pull up what you'd expect it to.

© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/812824-This-ones-about-12-staples-and-no-sauce