*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817378-BloggerSS-WriterPoet-in-a-Bar
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#817378 added May 20, 2014 at 10:15am
Restrictions: None
Blogger...SS Writer..Poet in a Bar?
Prompt: A blogger, a short story writer and a poet walk into a bar . . .

I have no idea what the above is about. Maybe someone ran out of prompts. I saw ♥ Jbradford is writing ♥ 's post about what made her happy.  I thought about what she said and it came to my mind that over the years what brings me joy has indeed changed. When I was pre-twenties a book and not having to do dishes would make me very happy. My joy was spending time with my Dad, hunting or even fishing.  That was something he enjoyed but not with us girls so much.

After I got married I could list a number of things that brought me joy but none are a positive thing to say about one's spouse. Still a book in hand was a constant companion. I've read at least a hundred thousand through my years, most I don't even remember. In the last few years I've come to accept the little things that make me happy aren't the same things I used to look forward to.

I love getting calls from my daughter. She gave me tickets to see a movie as a pre-birthday gift. I love that my husband travels and is gone for weeks at a time. We talk on the phone and he is less about the nitpicking the small things until he gets home. (I'm a procrastinator) "Why do it today when you can do it tomorrow or the next day, or when it rains?"

When I started getting some response about my manuscript, a couple of people mentioned to him about my story. He has no idea what its about or what I've been doing to get it published. All of the sudden its, "Just go out there and pay to get it done."  Apparently he's heard people asking when it will be ready to read, or what's it about or how soon do you think you'll be published.  He just want's it done so he isn't bothered by it. 

How odd. Now that he's given me some leeway to pay to have it edited and published, the process isn't all that easy. I asked on one of the writers sites on Facebook about that and got slammed with all the bad things about vanity publishing.  I know there has to be good publishers out there. I've come to the conclusion I need to pay for editing and then work on getting is published. I have sent it out to a number of literary agents and publishing houses.

One of the forms for an agent, included the question was: Why do you want to publish?  The choices were thought provoking to me. I can see that some might have applied to memoirs and family history projects. Some were targeted to self-help books.  I had to stop and think, "Why DO I want to be published?"  It certainly isn't some ego trip, but then I can't ignore the fact I would like to see someone reading my story. I'd love to have someone say, "I couldn't put it down." (That did happen) Is that ego? I shamefully have to admit there is a bit of ego involved. What I think is more important is that its the confirmation that I can craft a story others enjoy and are willing to put down hard earned money to buy.   

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817378-BloggerSS-WriterPoet-in-a-Bar