*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817618
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1973909
Stories and other items for Valentines Day, Victorian Romance and Jane Austen Writing.
#817618 added May 22, 2014 at 4:47pm
Restrictions: None
Charlotte Collins
Charlotte's husband Charles had died. He had a heart attack and now she and her four year old daughter Rachael were alone. What was she talking about? They had always ben alone. Charles ignored her and Rachael. He wasn't mean to them. He just worked on his sermons and usually ate alone. He was all about Lady Catherine. Truth be told, Charles was in love with Lady Catherine. Charlotte knew that but she didn't care. She wouldn't even miss him.

Charlotte walked down to the parlor and saw that Elizabeth and Darcy had arrived. Charlotte hadn't seen much of Elizabeth because Lizzie didn't like Charles and Lady Catherine was always at her house and Lizzie and the grand Lady didn't get along.

Lizzie hugged Charlotte and Mr. Darcy hugged her as well.

"Oh, Lizzie, I am so glad to see you. I have no friends and Mom and Dad are too ill to visit. I can't believe that you are here."

"Of course I am here. I love you, silly girl. Darcy and I want you to live with us. I know Lady Catherine has asked you to move out. You have me and Georginia would love to see you and meet little Rachael."

Charlotte was happy to hear this. "Lady Catherine never liked me. She scared Rachael. Guess Lady Catherine couldn't wait to tell Darcy."

"Lady Catherine is mean. She has no say so what goes on at Pemberly. Tomorrow, you will move to Pemberly with Rachael. Darcy is happy to have you and Rachael stay with us You can stay as long as you like or stay forever. He told Lady Catherine she was mean and a snob. For once, her Highness was speechless."

Charlotte laughed and hugged Lizzie.

The next day, Charlotte and Rachael moved to Pemberly and they were content. Darcy paid attention to Rachael and bought her dolls. Charlotte had a little money and tried to pay Lizzie and Darcy to stay at Pemberly but they wouldn't accept her money Charlotte baked cakes and cookies. Lizzie and Charlotte laughed and renewed their friendship.

Charlotte was out riding Lizzie's horse one day and a fox ran past the horse and spooked him and he took off running. Poor Charlotte could barely hang on. A handsome man with dark hair that resembled Darcy was riding a big black horse and rode up next to Charloote and stoped the horse. The horse calmed down.

"You saved my life, Sir. Thank you so much. You look like Mr. Darcy. Lizzie is my best friend. She is Darcy's wife."

"You are Charlotte Collins. I am Gentry Darcy. I am Darcy's cousin. I have a estate near by. It isn't big as Pemberly but I have thirty acres and a big house. Mrs, Collins, may I escort you and ride back to Pemberly with you?"

"Yes, I would like that." Charlotte smiled. She was wearing a pretty green velvet riding habit that she had borrowed from Lizzie. Charlotte had her mousy brown hair pinned up underneath the hat. She had pretty blue eyes and this was her best feature. Gentry didn't think Charlotte was beautiful but he thought that she was attractive.

Charlotte and Gentry arrived at Pemberly and Lizzie and Darcy invited Gentry to stay for supper which he did. He had supper with the Darcys and sat Rachael on his knee and told her the story of The Three Bears. When Gentry left, he asked if he could call on Mrs. Collins . Charlotte agreed.

The nest day, Charlotte told Lizzie that she was a widow and shouldn't allow Gentry to call on her.

"Nonsense. You didn't love Charles and he didn't love you. You look happy Who follows the rules of society? From what you told me, Charles ignored you and Rachael. People's opinions don't count. You deserve some happiness."

"Thank you, Lizzie. For the past six years, I have been alone. I just took Rachael for walks and we had picnics together. Charles and I were together to have Rachael and after that, he never entered my bed again. Sorry to say that but it was a relief. It was terrible."

Lizzie burst out laughing and so did Charlotte. She and Charlotte hugged.

Gentry came to visit Charlotte. He bought her flowers and they walked around Pemberly. He bought gifts for Rachael and Charlotte. People talked. Darcy, Lizzie, Charlotte and Gentry didn't care. Charlotte and Gentry went to plays and out to dinner together. They danced together when Lizzie played the piano. Rachael would join in, too.

Darcy and Lizzie were having a Ball. Lizzie bought a fancy purple dress and Charlotte bought a pretty blue dress. Lizzie's sisters came to the Ball and they hugged Charlotte and Mrs,. Bennett hugged her as well. Gentry Darcy arrived at the Ball and he danced with Charlotte to all the dances. People whispered. They said Charlotte was a tart. She had no scruples. She was a widow and she was supposed to be wearing black. She didn't honor her husband's memory. She was a black mark on society. The Darcys weren't respectable and it was Charlotte's fault. Charlotte and Lizzie didn't care what was said.

Gentry took Charlotte's arm and they walked outside. He hugged her and kissed her.

"Gentry! People are already talking!"

"I don't care. I love you and want you to marry me. You make so happy. I knew I wanted you the day I stopped your runaway horse. Will you marry me?"

Charlotte smiled. "Yes, I will marry you. I love you. Charles and I never did love each other. He wanted a wife and I needed a husband. You have made me so happy. Rachael loves you, too."

"I love her, too. She will be my daughter. Charles didn't know what a good thing he had but I know. I will always love you." Charlotte and Gentry kissed.

Charlotte and Gentry announced their engagement. People were outraged.

Darcy addressed the crowd. "Everyone here disliked Charles Collins. Can you imagine being married too him like Charlotte was? He ignored her and their daughter. Charlotte was unhappy and my cousin Gentry makes her happy. They love each other. My wife's best friend has a right to love and happiness. If some of you want to leave, that is your choice. I won't have you dishonoring Charlotte's good name. She is just as important as the rest of you. The bad gossip stops now. Any questions?"

The room got quiet. The band started up again and Lizzie hugged Charlotte. "I am so happy for you. My Darcy sure set his guests straight."

"I was so jealous of you and Darcy. Now, I will have what you have. Real love. Thank you, Lizzie. I know Gentry will be just like Darcy."

Lizzie's sisters hugged Charlotte and everyone was happy for Charlotte. No one had liked Charles Collins. Charlotte and Gentry were married and he was a great husband and father. They had two sons later on. Charlotte thought her life was heavenly.

** Image ID #1718834 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2014 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817618