*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817995-SHAZAAAM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#817995 added May 27, 2014 at 11:37am
Restrictions: None
SHAZAAAM!!!
Magic: Exists or not?

After pondering how to answer this prompt. Let's discover what MAGIC is.
Webster's defines it as: "a power that allows people (such as witches and wizards) to do impossible things by saying special words or performing special actions.
: tricks that seem to be impossible and that are done by a performer to entertain people
: special power, influence, or skill

They also use this as a FULL Definition:  
1. a :  the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces
    b :  magic rites or incantations
2. a :  an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source
    b :  something that seems to cast a spell :  enchantment
3. :  the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand

I rewrite the question here Does Magic Exist? I don't believe in magic, as it is described above in 1 and 2. At least not in the sense that the average person can study to perform magic alone without outside influence. Incantations and spells are subject to the belief of the hearer.
If you didn't hear a spell was cast on you and you were in an accident, you aren't going to believe it was magic. If you went to a soothsayer or witch or physic and they told you a bunch of things then they all happened, would you think it was MAGIC?
Our human mind normally (here's that word we talked about yesterday) discounts it. Only when someone begins to recount coincidences they determine to be magic.
Humans are tied to this earth by gravity and are subject to its boundaries cannot create anything out of nothing. The old story of the contest between satan and Christ went something like this.
satan: "I can create anything you can."
Christ: "Go ahead and try."  Christ spoke and a tornado appeared.
satan waved his arms and a hurricane blew up. Christ spoke and dirt formed into a man. satan waved his arms and dirt formed a woman.
Christ spoke:"You can't do that. I created the dirt, get your own dirt."
What I'm trying to say is, magic is slight of hand tricks. Supernatural things like telekinetic, where things fly around a room isn't magic to me. I am suspicious. However I love to watch "magic tricks."  I love to watch David Copperfield and very good illusionists.
I wrote a movie review for  "Now You See Me." I cut this part to paste here.
The following is taken from the internet as an explanation of what a magic act contains. All these elements are portrayed in this movie. Is it real or a slick trick of the movie effects?

The Pledge,The Turn and The Prestige

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called The Pledge. The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course it probably isn't.

The second act is called The Turn. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back.

That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part called The Prestige. Prestige has also come to be known as the finishing act in a magician's trick, a finale of sorts, where, for example, the object of the magician's trick is returned from disappearance or a woman reappears unharmed from a box of swords.
That's why magic is most always followed by the work "trick."

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817995-SHAZAAAM