*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818475-This-ones-about-crossing-lines
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#818475 added June 2, 2014 at 2:13pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about crossing lines.
30DBC PROMPT: "Prompt for June 2nd."  

What's up folks? Before I start my entry (or reading anyone else's take for that matter), I wanna apologize to anyone who thought this prompt sucked was difficult to write to. Even I admit it's kinda lame. Coming up with prompts wasn't exactly in my Cutco Skill Set. If anyone wishes to take issue with it, that's fine; I can handle it. I'm notorious for being somewhat outspoken when I come across a prompt I don't care for...Sister Mary Muggingsworth didn't brand me a "complaining male" because we exchanged pleasantries over tea and biscuits, ya heard? *Wink*

So with that being said, I'll address the "unwritten rules of blogging" portion, which sounded like a good idea at the time but I've since started to dislike the notion of it. Who am I to say there should be rules or that things need to be done a certain way? I don't tell you what to write, primarily because I wouldn't want anyone else to tell me what is and what isn't acceptable. It doesn't matter how many times you've won the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, or how many times your peers voted you Blogger Of The Week in the "Blogging Circle of Friends ...you don't go into someone's house, kick their dog, and demand they make you a salami sandwich, so it would behoove you to not really care too much about the way you or I or him or her smash up words together and call it an entry.

With that in consideration, there's still a few things that should be off-limits (and you probably won't find this in the Tips-N-Tricks section of The Blogging Bliss newsletter that comes out at the end of each month):

*Bullet* As is true in other facets of life, you shouldn't make fun of someone's mother. Unless you're this lady  , in which case you probably deserve all of the verbal abuse you're getting from just about everywhere.

*Bullet* Also, be respectful. Be honest, but do it respectably. Or lie...I kinda don't care what you do. But lie respectably.

*Bullet* Blog-On-Blog crime is a low-riding epidemic that could spin out of control down the road unless we take steps to prevent it now. Being a hater in the blogging community might seem like fun at first, and maybe it'll spike your popularity for a time being, but that's temporary. Your words can hurt, and that lasts a lot longer. Can't we all just get along?

*Bullet* And finally, acknowledge your sources and give credit where credit's due. This is where a simple working knowledge of WritingML can go a long way. If you're referencing something you read in someone else's blog, include a link to the entry. It's polite, helpful, and draws interest to your fellow writers, plus you cement a little credibility of your own. It's like a virtual handshake and a tip of the hat.

I know this list is far from complete and it's not meant to be definitive, nor is it meant to be biblical in its nature of rights and wrongs. What works for some may not always be what's best for others, like if you're a guy who makes money off of trashing moms. But for most of us, blogging doesn't pay, so tread that line carefully if you choose to walk it.

BCF PROMPT: "In June wedding bells ring, roses bloom, and drivers seem to go nuts. Pick one or all of those items and write a story or poem about it."

Here's a weird bit of information: there does seem to be a ton of weddings in June. Yet according to the random quiz I was given yesterday at "A Trivial Challenge, more births occur in July and August than any other months. If June and July are popular wedding months (one look at any newspaper's Nuptials section can tell you that), how do July and August figure in being a popular month for squirting out kids? Surely not all brides-to-be are eight month preggers, and is it really common once you're married to put off full-on babymaking for a few months? I've neither been married nor had kids, so someone needs to educate me on what's proper under these circumstances.

Roses? They bloom in June 'cuz that's a nature thing. I'm no scientist or botanist, and I can't speak for the entire global population, but June is generally when the weather is consistently nice, and that's more conducive to plant life blossoming in their natural habitat, or something. Even on different sides of the planet, where weather patterns run opposite of their correlating positions on the globe, June just seems to be the universal "not too hot, not too cold" month where everything is awesome for thirty days, no matter where you live. Unless you're in prison...then every day is grey with a chance of sun peeking through the bars on your window. Do I have readers of this blog who are currently incarcerated? If so, please send us a weather update.

And I don't care what time of year it is...every day is "drivers are going nuts" day. It's not like the world woke up one day and suddenly learned how to be courteous and patient when behind the wheel. I don't wanna hear about how I can barely walk right now...that's no excuse for people to cuss me out from behind their SUV-that's-too-big-for-them-to-drive-'cuz-it's-not-a-car when I'm not crossing the street fast enough even though I've got the right-of-way because the little guy walking on the electronic street sign thingey says I can go. Yeah, fuck those people good and hard in the headrest.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Rest in peace Ann B. Davis  , who played Alice The Housekeeper on The Brady Bunch.


"I'm like Sam The Butcher, bringin' Alice the meat."


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*No* I feel the need to revisit the initial prompt of this entry, which referred to lines being crossed in blogging. It reminded me of a Facebook status I came across about a year ago, from someone who I will not name but was a friend/co-worker for a company I was employed with once, and I supported his ambitions of being a drummer in local bands. It was shortly after I'd posted a link to a blog entry where I'd gotten particularly liberal with the use of "swear words" (which, "swear words" sounds so childish and funny, but that's a whole 'nother entry for another day), and his status was something like "People who swear in blogs are stupid." I didn't comment on it at the time, but it bugged me and obviously has stuck with me for awhile. I'm gonna address that now...A) I'm not stupid; B) Yes, I swear a lot but in normal conversation around people I'm comfortable with I swear a lot as well, and it is not a reflection on my intelligence nor anyone's intelligence as long as they're doing so in a creative fashion and not just sayin' "fuck" just to say "fuck"; and C) This isn't something I'm doing on "company time" and I don't have to worry about upsetting sponsors or losing business (although it would be awesome if, like, Mountain Dew or Nike wanted to pay me for my thoughts in a blog format, but I'd have to negotiate a few eff-bombs into my contract). Truth is, even though I share this blog with the public and anyone could read it, I'm not concerned about whether maybe a potential future employer could see it, and if they're basing their opinion on hiring me over the contents of this internet dipping sauce. They'd be lucky to have someone who's as passionate and dedicated as I am. Simply put: you want me on your team because you don't want to be battling against me. I understand professionalism and tact, and neither of those traits interfere with what you winding up seeing on a website dedicated to fostering creativity and expression. I ain't sellin' shoes or soda or insurance...this is a part of me; one of many pieces. This is a product. If you like it, great. And if you don't, that's great too. I won't die because nobody reads this. There won't be a backlash and a rebellion against the public image of a company because I got loose with my tongue. The only brand I'm doing anything for is me, and if you're unsettled by my occasional dysfunctional language, then we should just agree to amicably and mutually not do mental business together.

*Drbag* On a different note, let's all wish Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox a speedy recovery from the procedure she's having today ("Day Before Eye Surgery)...she's a great friend of this spot and I hope she can enjoy the summer she has planned for herself and her family free of complications. Can't say a bad word about her, and I know many of you, if you haven't crossed paths with her, would feel the same way.

Well, I've had a long morning and I'm itchin' to see what's been written so far about probably the worst prompt I've ever come up with in the (weak) history of me having to create a prompt for everyone else. Peace to 30DBC Creator/Founder for having me along on this 30DBC unofficial experience, peace to you for readin' it, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818475-This-ones-about-crossing-lines