*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/819260-Where-Am-I
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1994181
This collection contains writings for the I Write - 2014 Challenges and the miscellaneous
#819260 added June 10, 2014 at 10:47am
Restrictions: None
Where Am I?
I startled awake and found myself bound to the bed unable to move. My mind began to race; trying to fit the pieces together. Deep breaths pulled me back from the vortex of the unknown. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to find my way back in my mind. All I could see was the blackness.

“Hello.” I called, but my voice rasped out instead of holding true.

My heart raced and my eyes prickled with unshed tears.

Footsteps could be heard and I shifted my gaze to what looked to be a solid metal door. The footsteps echoed. A jangle of keys, then the shift and cluck of the lock and the door swung open on rusty, metal hinges.

“Ahhh. Mr. Forster. I see you are awake.” The man in the white lab coat said with some distain. Behind him a beefy man shifted and grunted into the room. He took a stance by the door and braced himself, arms wrapped across his chest. His eyes bore into me that I felt myself tremble.

“Where am I? I don’t know what I’m doing here? What do you want from me?” My words tumbled out rasping around my dry tongue as I shifted my gaze back to the smaller man in the lab coat.

“Ahh, Mr. Forster. Always with the questions.” The man gave a pained smile.

“How did I get here? Why am I bound?”

“For your safety, Mr. Forster. You arrived rather turbulent and thrashing around. We had to sedate you.”

“Why? Who are you people?”

The man gave me a twisted smile. He moved to my bedside and produced a glass, dropping a straw in, he leaned it for me to drink. My eyes noted clear liquid and no smell but I paused, unsure.

“It is only water, Mr. Forster.”

I drained the cup as I stared up into the small man’s eyes.

“Who?”

“It seems your bosses are not thrilled with your investigation and asked that you be brought in.”

“What? I am an accountant for heaven’s sake.”

The man’s smile twisted. “Apparently accountants can be rather bothersome when they refuse to let things go.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about...” My mind buzzed back over to my current accounts. There had been some discrepancies....

“The bosses would like to discuss your future. I would advise you to listen. Your life might depend on it.”

“My life...” I croaked out.

The man’s eyes twisted into a cold, grim smile. “If you value your life and that of your family... you will listen and do as they say. I would advise you not to let anyone else know of your activities or you may find yourself in worse places than this.”

I swallowed audibly.

“They will be here shortly. I am to give you a little truth serum to help the interview.”

I gasped as the needle plunged into my arm.

Finishing his ministrations the small man departed, “Have a nice day, Mr. Forster.”

Word Count = 500 right on the nose.

Date: June 9, 2014
Daily Flash Fiction Contest
Prompt for 6/9: “I don’t know what I am doing here?”
I did not post this as I realized the word count needed to be 300 or less.



** Image ID #1988708 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2014 đź’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
đź’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/819260-Where-Am-I