*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820319-Fantastic-winnings
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1995466
My blog written for Welcome To My Reality.
#820319 added June 20, 2014 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
Fantastic winnings
Week 26, prompt 4 - "Welcome To My Reality Forum - "Tell us about a time you won something. A raffle, a contest. It doesn't have to be WDC-related, and you can tell us about more than one."

I just recently submitted a poem to the contest Shadows and Light Poetry Contest. It was a dark, death-themed poem, and I didn’t write it with the intention of submitting it to a contest; I was just writing for the sake of writing it. I got the idea for it because I was inspired by the band Little Big Town’s song Tornado. The lyrics go something like “I’m a tornado…” etc. That’s the chorus. So I liked the descriptions of it and then conceived of the idea for my poem Inevitable, which focused mainly on violent acts of nature that could kill people. One of my darker poems for sure.

I’m participating in Giselle’s I Write In June-July-August, and so I counted this poem as one of my weekly entries. I got many reviews for it, 14 I think, and pretty good comments and ratings with good helpful tips on how to improve. I followed most of the advice, and did my final edits before submitting it to the contest. When I initially posted it to my port, I wanted a cover image as well as an embedded image in the body. I mention Thanatos in the poem, and so I did a Google Images search for “angel of death”. I came up with some great images, a dark hooded figure wearing a long flowing black cloak and carrying a scythe, so I chose two of them. I just recently figured out how to resize images in my Microsoft Picture Manager program on my computer, so I had to resize the images to make them at the most 400x400 to fit the WDC image size requirements. After finding 5 images I liked, I had my mom help me pick out which two were the best. We agreed on the best two, so I resized them and put them in my poem. I’m very pleased with the pictures, as well as the actual layout of the poem. It’s a visual poem as well, with the first stanza being left aligned, the second being centered, the third being right aligned, the fourth being centered and so on. I wanted the poem to look like an actual tornado since the first stanza was written about a tornado. I received good comments for the most part regarding the actual formatting, with some criticisms, but I think they just didn’t understand why I made it look like that. Oh well. The poem ended up winning 2nd place in Shadows and Light, so I guess I did an overall good job. I got a beautiful exclusive Shadows and Light merit badge, and a gorgeous black 25k awardicon. Needless to say I was thrilled!

STATIC
Inevitable  (13+)
I am a tornado...I am a tempest...
#1995487 by April Desiree-I'm back!

© Copyright 2014 April Desiree-I'm back! (UN: aprildesiree at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
April Desiree-I'm back! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820319-Fantastic-winnings