*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820518-Reborn
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1587540
Not hardcore enough to be ultra nerdy, but it's not that shallow, either.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#820518 added June 22, 2014 at 2:25pm
Restrictions: None
Reborn
So you've heard about Heroes being resurrected, right? Here are a few details regarding that.

HRG is coming back according to initial reports.  

I wasn't big on HRG, but I acknowledge that his role became more important with each season. As more characters gained powers, HRG became the eyes and ears of the audience. The thing is, the audience needs characters without abilities to be able to more closely identify with someone in the story. It aids with engagement. I may write about some very obtuse/cerebral topics, but I can recognize a need to bond with a character. This is actually something I discussed in a forum a month or so ago. I can't remember exactly how Heroes came up in the conversation, but I do remember stating that the minor characters were crucial. In that vein (and in light of this piece), I'm going to share some wishes I have for the reboot.

*Starb* If a character is introduced and does not have powers, do not under any circumstances give that person powers later on. Keep them human in the way the audience understands the notion of being human.
*Starb* Do not throw in minority characters for the sake of having minorities. Give them some metaphorical teeth (or at least a damn good reason for falling into the tropes).
*Starb* The 13 episode order is a good thing. If this reboot ends up being successful, it would be wise to consider sticking with this format to control the writing.
*Starb* Fan feedback is easier than ever to get thanks to Twitter. That said, the creative staff needs to grow a pair and not cater to the whims of the fans. It's what happened the last time, and things spiraled out of control.
*Starb* Give us a little something (genetics, physiology, psychology, etc.) that at least hints how powers are acquired/manifest. Don't be afraid to do a little medical research. Hell, even I speculated (in a free write) that the abilities have root in the corpus callosum. Audiences have skewed geeky and will provide their own theories (some of which may actually have some truth). Providing them a little bait will help you stay ahead of the game. If you guide their research, you can get them to chase false leads at best or get super obsessed with research (thus ignoring spoilers) at worst.
*Starb* Don't bring Sylar back. His characterization probably suffered the most out of anyone in the original series. The writers bit off more than they could chew with him. If you want a really good antagonist, stick with society as a whole. The amount of conflict there will keep everyone busy in terms of plot and character development for eons.


So...anyone else want to jump in on this and make some suggestions?


© Copyright 2014 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820518-Reborn