*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821801-Gus-and-Jeno---The-Govenors-Palace
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1999208
Editing is the key
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#821801 added July 6, 2014 at 4:07am
Restrictions: None
Gus and Jeno // The Govenor's Palace
Gus and Jeno


"Look at me." Gustav pounds his heavily muscled chest. "I am strong like a bull. I work hard. I drink wine and make love with my woman. But, it means nothing." Gustav turns his back on his brother. "I have done nothing in my life, Jeno. Nothing important."

"But, Gus, you have a wife. You have a business. You know a craft that is important." Jeno grabbed his brother's shoulder to turn him, but the big iron smith wouldn't turn. His head was bowed as if too heavy to keep up.

"Jeno, I have no sons. I have no children. Even daughters have their merits." Gustav turned and looked at his little brother. Jeno looked away when he saw the tears streaming down the face of a man he looked up to. The strongest man in Bansbree. "What can I do, Gus? You shame yourself crying like a baby."

"Have you heard nothing I've said?" Gustav pounded a heavy fist on the table, tipping over a bowl. Jeno stepped back, out of reach. "The Govenor calls the aid of all metal workers to his armory. Seems the Dunsmen are up in arms along the Sidhelien borders to the north west. The pointy-ears have crossed into the Dunsland and poached silver from an abandoned mine. Some Dunish lord caught a couple of the blighters red-handed and cut the hands from the thieves wrists on the spot."

"Yes, I heard the crier. And I've seen the notices." Jeno shook his head. "Bad buisness all around. If we get involved both the Elves and the Dwarves will turn on us."

Gustav flashed a toothy grin. "And I'm answering the Govenor's call."

"I'm taking Anez and the children out of the city. I'm going east."

"I know this. I need you to take Dorte with you."

Jeno's eyes opened wide and he shook his head in the negative as he stepped backwards toward the door. "She won't go, brother. You know as well as..."

Gus interrupted. "She will go. I will make sure of it. You just tell me when I need to deliver her to your wife's wagon."

"What? You going to hog-tie and gag her? Because you know that is what it's going to take."

Gus turned his back on Jeno and shrugged his big shoulders in a 'I'll do what I must' gesture. "Yes, something like that."


The Govenor's Palace


Patrikio Guarnez paced the length of his private study. It's rediculous the position the Sidhelien have placed Bansbree. The Grand Duke's communique simply warns me to tread cautiuosly. The nobleman laughed his sarcasm and he stopped pacing; but only for a moment. Well it is known, when walking through a pit of vipers, you will get bitten. Damn, Ilfilio and his thieving. Bansbree is tied to him in trade, as Bansbree is tied to everywhere and to everyone in the three kingoms, in trade. If a Dunsman happens to spy raw or smelted silver with the Dunish aura but not the Dunish stamp then Bansbree may be pulled into a disasterous war. Patrikio ran a heavily ringed hand through his medium length, and thinning hair. "Damn!"

"Father! Such boarish posturing will insure your complete isolation for sup."

Patrikio turned shame-faced toward his daughter. "My dear Felisa, is it time already?"

Felisa laughed lightly and shook her head as she accepted her father's hug and soft kiss on the cheek. "Soon. Mama sent me to remind you of the time. She worries you are too preoccupied over this silliness between the Elves and the Dwarves."

"I assure you my daughter, it isn't silly when war looms as real as Duilin's ax."

"Oh Father, men don't go to war with the likes of the Fae or the Duns. Men profit with trade on both sides."

Patrikio looked at Felisa's confident smile and knew his arguement to the contrary would fall on deaf ears. "You are historically correct, my dear."

"Oh, Pater. Lets go to the hall, supper will be served soon."

Patrikio took his daughter's proffered hand and escorted her to the hall. As usual, the riches of Bansbree was well represented at the table. Unfortunately, the govenor's stomach soured and he was forced to leave the table before the third course was served.


691 words

© Copyright 2014 DyrHearte writes (UN: dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DyrHearte writes has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821801-Gus-and-Jeno---The-Govenors-Palace