*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822153-Its-Been-Awhile
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#822153 added July 9, 2014 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
It's Been Awhile
I have been so busy with life and church I haven't had time to write. I can't really say no time, because I could make time if there had been interesting things to write.  I looked at the prompts but none were triggering anything.

We've had some changes to go through this last few weeks. Our restaurant for our campmeeting was rebuilt and is now the Fellowship Lodge. Its beautiful. What changed is the style in which we serve food and the food itself.

In the beginning of these camp meetings (75 years ago), the restaurant served made to order meals for those who could afford them. Steaks, pot roasts and such. When I was younger they changed to a set menu and added a snack bar. The meals were homemade with wonderful homemade desserts. Pies and cakes that were out of this world. It was nothing to gain 5-10 lbs if you ate there with any regularity.

This menu continued until this year. The cost of running the restaurant, making these fabulous meals and desserts was running way over what is reasonable. They lost thousand of dollars every year. The situation had to change. Costs had to be cut.
1) no desserts. Really. No homemade, wonderfully rich and scrumptious desserts. Now there is just fake ice cream in chocolate, Vanilla and twist (once in awhile they have mango)
2) There are two sizes of plates with prices. Once through there is no returning.
3) Coffee, tea (iced and hot) a variety of soda, and lemonade is included ( rootbeer floats are a yummy dessert too)

Since this is the first year of this system it hasn't been without some complaints and some ingenuity elsewhere.  Some people have thought the buffet style service means, load the plate as high as you can. It also was thought you could feed your entire family from that plate!  The prices are $5.50 and $7.50. Where can you eat a reasonable meal, homemade, for that price? 
It has been most disturbing to see this happening. A few have finally been vocal about it and the hint has been taken. Thankfully.
Some people will have to make restitution to God some day for their actions. Taking more than they can eat and throwing the rest away.

We had hot dogs, hamburgers and pronto pups wrapped to keep them warm. There were people taking them in their hands and then putting them in their purse/pocket and taking them back to their cabins.  They had to stop wrapping them. Now I have to qualify that those who are most guilty of this do not reside within the borders of the United States and it seems to be part of the African culture to take as much as you can without paying  any more for it.

We have a member of our church who has a Lebanese food cart. They have pulled it up and sell some meals at lunch and dinner. On Sunday they served the famous Raspberry dessert from their cart. Luckily I got insider's knowledge and waited to be first in line to get mine. One for me one for my husband.  They also sell breakfast and pizza buns. fillings wrapped in a homemade bread dough an baked. YUM! After night church they had berry pie and ice cream, shaved ice with a huge variety of syrups. They even put a scoop of ice cream at the bottom and sold homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches. I'm sure this year they made beau coup money.

For many years I would arrive at 5:30 am to begin the breakfast. I helped cook sausages, bacon, toast and eggs. This year I had no job. I felt disappointed. I could live with change, but the feeling of being a part of the church, my service to God as well as camaraderie with others doing the same thing made me sad. We laughed and had a great time.  Now the whole feeling has changed. It no longer has the feeling of giving service to God with your friends. Its a restaurant.  You do your job and get out. Saving money is one thing, but it is leaning toward hiring a service to come in an prepare the food and slap it on the tables and come and get it. No care for taste or appearance. I heard the comment that the young people today are used to the Buffet/cafeteria style of eating and don't expect the same quality or finesse that us older generation expect. I don't see that and I think these people are out of touch and don't know there are people young or old who have a palate with some good taste.

Okay I'm done ranting!!

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822153-Its-Been-Awhile