*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823913-Color-Purple-notes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#823913 added July 30, 2014 at 7:14pm
Restrictions: None
Color Purple notes
Walker understands sexuality and sexual orientation as a spectrum of possibilities rather than as two, polar-opposite choices. Thus, like race, sexuality can be difficult to define, and more complex than the simple dichotomy of heterosexuality and homosexuality. Celie’s feelings toward Shug are sexual, but they are also based on friendship, gratitude, camaraderie, and admiration.


Watched it twice in two days, love it. Funny how age changes/adds things to your perception.
Upon searching "what disease did shug avery have" I came across:
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/purple/section3.rhtml

It is clear that although Walker views resistance as crucial, she does not want to romanticize it as an act free of pain or consequences.
For Walker, the most basic indication of victory is the ability to tell one’s story, and neither Sofia nor Squeak loses her voice.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/purple/section4.rhtml

The images in Nettie’s letters not only open Celie’s eyes to the outside world, but also link the personal oppression Celie has felt with the broader themes of domination and exploitation on the continent of Africa.... Even though Celie may not yet realize it, Nettie’s descriptions of Harlem empower Celie and they may be a factor in the economic independence Celie achieves later in the novel. The concept of black prosperity and independence is yet another submerged or suppressed narrative that is now emerging into the foreground of Celie’s consciousness.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/purple/section5.rhtml

Shug act more manly than most men. . . . Sofia and Shug not like men, he say, but they not like women either....Sofia says that she does feel some kindness for Eleanor Jane because Eleanor Jane had showed her kindness, but otherwise, the pain and racism that Sofia endured prevents Sofia from loving anyone else in the mayor’s family. Though Eleanor Jane vows to raise her son right, Sofia tells her that white society will probably make him into a racist nonetheless.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/purple/section8.rhtml

Throughout the novel, reconciliation occurs when characters transform and meld each other into sameness. There are no notable examples of reconciliation that come about due to characters who truly bridge differences with one another. Celie, for instance, reconciles with Mr. ______ not because she grows to understand his different ways, but because her influence transforms Mr. ______ into someone who shares her interests and values. Neither Celie nor Mr. ______ truly bridge any difference, as Mr. ______ has transformed himself so drastically that there is no longer any difference between them left to bridge. Though Walker’s view may seem somewhat pessimistic, it is important to remember that, above all, The Color Purple is a story of successful transformation. Though some differences and conflicts remain unresolved at the novel’s conclusion, we have seen the remarkable transformation of an impoverished, abused woman of color into a successful, propertied entrepreneur who delights in her own sexuality and is enmeshed in a supportive, -loving community.



Book idea: The Color Blue - based on my life, middle girl child, older adopted sister/cousin, younger brother
quiet, obedient, learns manipulation by simply doing whatever her parents want, rebels in passive ways (bad at chores/dishes), treated like servant at her dad's after divorce
younger sister, love child of fathers
youngest sister, child of his next marriage
evil final wife
since twelve she dreams of her real father
meets real father as jr./sr. in college; neither mom/dad want her to go
"White girls have Jane Eyre, I got Alice Walker."

© Copyright 2014 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823913-Color-Purple-notes