*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825998-The-Introduction--Chapters-1-2-and-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2005775
Working with a wonderful group of writers through a variety of Writing Books.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#825998 added October 14, 2014 at 9:19pm
Restrictions: None
The Introduction & Chapters 1, 2 and 3
August 21, 2014
I want to thank Rhonda for bringing this book, Immediate Fiction to my attention and giving the opportunity to be part of this exciting wee group.

First impressions: I love Jerry Cleaver's tone and approach. I never really considered his view of story as being so important in our lives. The concept of it being a human need is astounding but makes perfect sense. My own need to make sense of my childhood started me writing in the first place so this concept really resonates with me.
I really like the bolder and italicised comments as I am prone to highlight and scribble in books I own and love. I have no doubt this one will be riddled with comments as I continue to read.

Readings: I started the book almost as soon as I pulled it out of its bubbled wrapped package. Having to work, slowed me down a bit. I was able to complete the introduction and chapter one on August 21. The second chapter was read the morning of August 22. I decided to organize this place for my writings and reflections before starting Chapter 3 as that has the first exercises and I want to be as organized as possible to make a success of this venture.

The first ten minute assignment: Giving a dead story some life.

I stood staring at the phone I had just hung up.
"What is it, honey?" My wife asked looking up from the veggies she was cutting.
"That was Larry... seems Deloris left him."
"What?"
'Yeah, she took the kids and went to her mother's. Larry says she wants a divorce."
"That's awful. Did he say why?"
I shook my head and shrugged. "He's not much for details... just called to tell me he wouldn't be at the tournament this weekend."
We stood in silence a moment before I moved over and laid my hands around her waist leaning in to kiss her neck. When I shifted back she kissed my check and smiled up at me. I felt a wave of gratitude and love swell up around me.
"What can I do to help?"

A month later, my wife came home from the mall and as she was bringing in the groceries she called for me to help. I appeared and grasped the heavier bags.
"I hope you don't mind, but I invited Larry for dinner tomorrow night."
"Larry? No, I don't mind. How's he doing?"
"Oh, my gosh, Jim. He looked awful. I swear he looks like he's lost a lot of weight. I almost didn't recognize him. He was sitting on one of the benches, head down on his hands... I almost walked by him when he looked up and said 'hi'."
I finished putting the groceries into the fridge and turned to face her. The sad concern held me and I moved to pull her into a hug. The contact seemed to help.
"The pain seems to just... surround him. I thought we could invite him over, maybe cheer him up. Even when he tired to talk his voice would catch and I could see tears in his eyes. She took everything, Jim. He seemed so lost. I almost brought him home with me, but...."
"It's okay, Maggie. We can do a barbecue. He likes his barbecue. I can pick up some of his favourite whiskey and cigars..."
Maggie nodded and pulled back to look up into my face. She gave me a watery smile. I brushed my thumb under her eyes and wiped the tears that had escaped. I kissed her sweetly n the lips.
"Maybe hold off on the whiskey... I would be afraid he would over-indulge."
I nodded, she was right. But I would still get us some beautiful steaks and his favourite cigars.
"The cigars stay outside though." she said moving to prepare our own meal. I laughed giving her a peck on the cheek as I went to check on our boys.

The next night Larry arrived bringing flowers for Maggie and a bottle of red wine. He smiled but you could see the strain hiding behind it. I offered him a beer and the two of us headed out onto the deck to chat while I started up the barbecue. From the back door, Maggie handed out the place of tin foil wrapped potatoes I would also be in charge of.
Larry watched my boys throw around the football as he sipped at his beer. Hoping to pull him out of his funk, I suggested we take on the boys. He smiled and light seemed to flicker below the pain.
Thirty minutes later, when it was time to put on the meat, Larry was looking more his usual self. The heaviness that had come in with him was set aside and his smile played and made his eyes light up, where before only dullness had hung.
"I figure we can practice our darts later... maybe beat that other team next tournament. We missed you last time."
"Yeah, sorry..." Larry's head dipped and the shadow of pain slipped back in.
"Hey, I sorry Larry. I didn't want..."
"No... it's me. I haven't been the best company lately..."
"Well, you can't wallow alone, Larry. I just isn't right." Maggie said as she appeared beside me handing each of us another beer.
"I know..."
"I know it hurts Larry.... You deserve so much better than Deloris.... have you seen the kids?"
Larry nodded a smile tipped his lips back up.
"Next time bring them. The boys would love to see them... Not everything changes, Larry." Maggie looked down at him pulling her sternness look. It brought the smile further out.
"Yes, ma'am." he said giving her a salute and she slapped at him.
Rubbing the spot he looked over at me. "For a sweet little thing, she certainly has a mighty punch."
"Keeps me in line." I told him as the laugh rumbled out around us.

Maggie huffed and took herself back into the house.
Larry watched her go, then looked over at me. "You are one lucky son of a bitch, you know that don't you."
"Yes, I am."
Larry gave a sigh. "I was hoping I found what you had when I found Deloris... but she had other ideas.
"I can't say that I know what you're going through, buddy, but... Maggie and I... you know we're here for you, don't you?"
Larry nodded, slowly at first, then lifted his eyes to meet mine. "Yeah."
"Okay then let's eat like men and show those little squirts over there how it's done."

Before Larry went home that night we had him laughing and he seemed to be enjoying himself. Maggie had made sure to keep the alcohol to a minimum and before he left she made him promise he would come the next week and bring his kids.
After we watched him drive I wrapped my arms around Maggie and kissed the top of her head.
"That was a good thing we did tonight, sweetheart. I think we helped.
"I think we did, too."
"Now if you don't mind... I would like to take my wife to bed and make mad, passionate love to her."
"Oh, you would, would you." Maggie twisted in my arms and lifted her hands to cup my face as I looked down at her.
I wiggled my brows at her and she laughed.
"Come on, loverboy. Show me how you love me."
"Oh, I plan to do that and more, sweet wife."
And with that I swept her up and carried her back into the house.

That was longer than ten minutes but better I think....

To make this story good you need conflict and you need to go in the direction of an affair. I had that thought float through my head but I was not sure I wanted to go there.

** Image ID #1988708 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825998-The-Introduction--Chapters-1-2-and-3