*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828431-ELEANOR---My-First-Lady
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#828431 added September 18, 2014 at 9:23am
Restrictions: None
ELEANOR - My First Lady
Prompt: Who was your favorite first lady?


Eleanor Roosevelt served as First Lady before I was born and continued during four terms of Franklin's presidency. This made her the longest serving first lady in American history. This was before television. Imagine a time when almost all of the visual images available to you every second of the day simply did not exist. The only images were black and white photos in the newspapers and usually rough footage shown in the movie news reels. The strongest connection with Eleanor came over the radio. Her distinctive voice could always be recognized, and it was heard often.

This First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, was there during all of my early growing up years. I would have been nine years-old when Franklin died in 1945. Their lives were not easy during World War II. The only contact from the outside world in my childhood home were the voices on the radio, heard almost every night after dinner. There was an intimate, personal contact with FDR and his wife, Eleanor through those distant voices. Americans listened. No one talked in my grandfathers home when the news broadcast was on.

The changes from then to now are unimaginable.

However, I believe those voices from my childhood told more direct truths than everything that piles upon our eyes and ears in every moment of this reality of 2014 that is so full of illusions.
Go figure...


Peace >>>iggy *Boat*   
                    ** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable **
Blog City image small          I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.

© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828431-ELEANOR---My-First-Lady