*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828600-IS-EASY-WRITING-EVER-POSSIBLE
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#828600 added September 20, 2014 at 11:04am
Restrictions: None
IS EASY WRITING EVER POSSIBLE?
PROMPT: Everyone has practical tips they feel make it easier to write, let's compare notes. Maybe we can help each other be more efficient. What rituals do you have that keep you focused and on track with your writing?


Rituals? I love quiet, no bugs, and lots of coffee. Maybe when I'm trying to go to sleep, I try to visualize how a scene might play out. That puts me to sleep really fast! But sometimes I dream a bit about it. That would help if I could remember it. (sigh)

All my novels have large casts and multiple locations. I cannot even begin to write a word until I have created the location with hand-drawn maps, detailed cast lists and character notes (often tentative as the characters take on their own life). The inter-relationships between characters and locations I have learned to solve with very complete mind maps. In other words a diagram that covers every element of a kingdom, a company, a group of characters or centered around the principal one.

Of course I have a concept and a direction the story must go, but after having worked in movies, I tend to go with the pre-planning in great detail. Once I've done that, the images of the place and the characters are free to perform in the atmosphere I've created. If a character looks up across the room, I have to know what they are seeing.

Even a single dramatic moment has to be diagrammed with everyone and every element around the event. Then the story almost writes itself.  I really love doing all this stuff! There are lots of different kinds of mind maps, some software. I use a large piece of paper and a pencil, starting in the middle and work out. Lots of boxes and arrows and notes.

All the notes, diagrams, maps, etc. help with the continuity, logistics and accuracy of the story. I can't imagine what George R.R. Martin must have to keep his Game of Thrones world straight!

Diagram for Knights of Sparrow

Diagram from Knights of Sparrow

Write on everyone!>>>iggy *Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.


© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828600-IS-EASY-WRITING-EVER-POSSIBLE