*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831482-Dressing-Up
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#831482 added October 17, 2014 at 4:05pm
Restrictions: None
Dressing Up!

Dressing up. At one time I pushed aside the idea of dressing up. To become someone else or just pretend.  We think of this as child's play. We watch little children don the clothes of grownups from occupational uniforms to their parent's favorite clothes.  We smile and joke, but deep inside there is a kernal of desire to put aside the trapping of an ADULT and be a kid again.

This came to me back in 1999. My husband and I were invited to a couple's home for a Christmas Party. We were told it was an annual party with a theme. This years' theme was Holiday Inn (the movie) I was pretty excited to go. I dressed up in a 1940's styled evening dress and had my hair done in the same style. It was rolled along the sides with a wave in the center and curled in french type roll at the back.

That year we had (unusual) no snow the first week of December, so the sleigh outside was sitting on cotton batting with a sign "Holiday Inn" leaning in the front seat.  The party was fun. Mostly talking among the adults of which we only knew the host and hostess. Lots of food and we met our hostess' siblings and mother. (Who owns a number of popular restaurants in the Twin City area) That was a treat in its self.

After the party we were inspired by the attendence and willingness of the guests to "dress up" we decided to have our own Christmas party. We talked to many of our friends and relatives asking for thoughts on dressing up. Some met with "no I won't dress up!" Others were on board!  We made the commitment and started the process.

One of our favorite Christmas movies is the musical Scrooge with Abert Finney.  A friend took the movie and adapted a 7 minute invitation. In the middle of the segment was an invitation. Where, when and What to wear!! Costumes are a must. Then a segment to give the invitees an idea of clothing.  When I was asked about costumes I said Thrift stores. Find a long full skirt, a victorian blouse, hat, jacket whatever.  The invitations were a hit, everyone loved them.  Most everyone came in a Victorian Costume except two aunts and uncles.  Our theme was Fezziwigs Mannor this was part of the invitation.

http://youtu.be/aaxcQRnreiM

The night of the party we had it catered by a British type resturant around the corner from our house. They were as excited to do it as we were to have it. We had Beef Wellington with little potatoes done in a special presentation among other appatizing treats. Dessert was made by me and the restaurant owner. Everyone had a great time. We played a game and sang carols. I had a young man who sang at the restaurant (the one owned by the mother of our previous host and hostess). He was amazing and sang Aria's with  one of the guests. We also had a horse and carriage ride. That night snow was falling lightly and guests from the west coast were thrilled with a carriage ride in winter wonderland.

The following year 2001 we had the theme Holiday Inn and again everyone (but the same two couples) were dressed in 1940's clothing. The invitation was another video that was taken from the movie Holiday Inn.
Sept 11 had just happened and I spoke about the time 50 years or so previously when war made a huge impact on our country and many gatherings at that time might have been behind windows blackened by curtains. We sang, searched for the CHRISTMAS PICKLE and ATE!  We received a call a few days later from our accountant and wife. They both told us they had been to many Christmas parties, mostly where alcohol was provided. This was the first one they went to where no alcohol was served and it was best one they had ever attended. It was fun. Even though they didn't know anyone but us and my brother and sister-in-law, they were amazed at how much fun it was to dress up and go out. (We don't serve any alcohol at our parties)

The year after that we had another Victorian party. This invitation was simple; a picture of the horse and carriage from our first party with guests taking a ride. Again everyone came dressed in Victorian clothes. Some put together, not rented as many did before.

We built a new house and moved across the river in Wisconsin so no party that year. I received numberous phone calls, "Tina, did we offend you? We didn't get our Christmas party invite." I had to explain there was no party that year. They were so disappointed and let us know they and their friends all looked forward to a new theme and what to dress up in. I guess our parties were quite the conversation among our guests and their friends.

The following year it was Christmas on Broadway. Our invitations were chocolate bars with the words Christmas on Broadway piped on them. The happy and sad masks made from dark and white chocolate were attached at the corner. I made a "ticket" with the instructions for costumes. ADMIT ONE was printed at one end. I was surprised to have many of the invites handed to me that night. It was cute!!
Everyone came as their favorite Broadway characters. We had King and Queens for King Leer, Our Town, The Nuns, Cats, Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, Chicago, Babe, Orphan Annie, Grease and others I don't remember off hand. I came as Dolly, my daughter was Potifer's wife, my son was Billly from Chicago. My husband was Tave from Fiddler on the roof. He sang "If I were a rich man" his costume was perfect. No beard, but he looked the part.
a great time was had by all.

We moved to the west coast the following year and life changed. There was no financial ability to have these parties. I miss them and others talk about them.
In all this you can see I found people like to dress up. It may not be Halloween costumes, but given a chance to put on the persona of someone different they will do it.
I found if people were resistant to it, they were not invited. I had limited space so I wanted those who wanted to really participate to be invited.  What I discovered after the first year, was a change of heart. "I heard it was so much fun I'd like to be invited next year." "Only if you join in and come in costume." They were there every year after and called when I didn't have the party.

The addage "If you build it, they will come." I say, "If you have the party and make dressing up somewhat manditory, they will come." If they miss the first year they will be at your door the next year, dressed up.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831482-Dressing-Up