*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831580-FIRST-FLIGHT
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#831580 added October 18, 2014 at 3:22pm
Restrictions: None
FIRST FLIGHT

Having lived long enough to see tehcnology and customer service change over the years, flying is an amazing invention. Now I wasn't around when Wilber and his brothers took their first flight, but I've watch how TWA and PAN AM airlines set the standards for flying and what to expect as a customer.

The competition to get customers to fly their airlines, the companies of the early days offered more and more amenities. They offered hot meals, drinks, pillows and blankets for their customers comfort.  As flying grew to a multi-billion dollar business and more airlines were added to the competition things began to change.
In order to entice more customers airlines divided the plane into First Class and Coach. Those who could afford to pay for the privledge of sitting at the front of the plane continued to receive the ultimate experience. Haute Cuisine food and free drinks served with real utinsils and napkins. The Coach received hot meals, but were limited to 2 choices, plasticware and paper napkins. They continued to receive free non-alcoholic drinks. 

In the last 15-20 years things have drastically changed. The cost of fuel and food have risen astronomically. Some airlines went bankrupt and were absorbed or bought out by others.  As if they all got together at a meeting the airline companies decided to discontinue any food service. All their passangers receive free is a tiny bag of peanuts and pretzels along with free soft drinks, coffee and tea.  That cut didn't extend to the First Class passangers who still receive hot meals but with plasticware, free drinks including alcoholic beverages and of course cloth napkins and in some cases hot towelettes to wipe your hands when you first arrive.

With this cut in customer service, people complained. The cost to fly didn't change with the elimination of food, blankets and pillows. In fact it went up.  Then along came the No Frills flying.  Airlines that didn't offer anything extra but the peanuts, pretzels and any cookies given as promotion to an airlines. You could buy food in the terminal and bring it aboard and eat what you wanted. The cost then reflected a more competetive price. 

These airlines became more popular. One that I and my husband use has some of the most outgoing employees. When they give the safetly features they do it in a comical way that has everyone quiet, listening and laughing. We've all heard the "In case of cabin pressure loss air......" These ladies will say, "If you have more than one child with you, pick the one with the most earning potential and place the mask on them first then put your own on."  There are many other funny ways of instructing passangers and they remember the instructions long after the flight is over. 

Most of these have no class divisions, everyone is the same. Some you get assigned seating and others its whatever position you are assigned in line to get into the plane, but then you can sit in any seat you want. The object is to pay a little more to get in first or become a frequent flyer and get that position closer to the front of the line.

This has its advantages and disadvantages.  As I mentioned in a previous blog, SWA is well know for its ability to heal their passengers while in the air. In the boarding area there is a line of "elderly" most times who claim to need assistance and are allowed a "blue" card to get on the plane before the A passengers. These people are wheeled and some are able to walk just fine down the ramp to sit in the first rows of the plane.  When the plane arrives at their destination, Praise God they've been healed and all but one or two walk out on their own. Its a miracle!!
The one that bugged me the most were two ladies over 60 years old, one brought to the gate in a wheelchair the other walked beside her. Because one had a "blue" card the other was able to get on at the same time. I make this note: The ladies were both dressed in a style we attribute to a more quiet society the Mennonites or reformed Amish. There was an annoucement for a gate change. We were to move across the aisle to another gate. We all marched over to the new gate. As I walked across the aisle I saw the older woman who had arrived in the wheel chair, walking toward the original gate with water and food. Walking, no limp, no assistance needed, she was walking quite well and hurried when she saw the people leaving her gate area. The walk to the nearest food court was a good half block away from the gate. So she had to walk there and walk back without the aide of the chair. When she arrived with her companion at the new gate she was in the wheelchair and sitting in line near the doorway.  I was in line and mentioned to those who also had observed the actions, that SWA had a reputation of healing the infirm. They all laughed. I wanted to stop by the two ladies and just shake my head at them. I didn't, But I wanted to!!

Airlines still try to entice passanger with frequent flyer miles and other things but most still have not got the fact that people can forego the aminities but really want good customer service. Act like you care. Have a plan in place for emergencies. The "on-time" rating applies when the doors close and plane is ready to back away from the gate. You may sit there for hours but they have maintained their ON TIME rating.

My biggest pet peeve is the baggage handlers. We now have to have less than 50 pounds in our suitcase, but they can throw 80 to 100 pounds around on a plane. They do not care or have any responsibility for their actions.  I'd like to see any complaints against an airport's baggage handlers during specific shifts be docked against that shift. If you are on a certain flight, the handlers for that flight need to be coded and if baggage arrives dammaged it is a mark against that team. If a team has too many they are docked or reprimanded. When the baggage comes through the x-ray at the begining of a trip the checker makes a mark/orig terminal stamp on the claim tag. This keeps the passanger from claiming dammage that was there previously. No one has to know this is implemented. It would mean a better handling of baggage, less complaints and more satified customers.

Flying has changed over the years. We as consumers have had to adjust our expectations. We have to get from one place to another quickly. Flying is the best way to make that trip. thosw who only know what is offered now are satisfied. Those of us who have travele many years and seen the down trend long for those days of a more coushy ride. Thank Howard Hughes for the ride of our lives.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831580-FIRST-FLIGHT