*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833001-Chapter-three-draft
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #2016926
Introduction
#833001 added November 2, 2014 at 2:13am
Restrictions: None
Chapter three draft



Matilda was an only daughter raised by a single mother named Sara. She was used to living a different kind of life than most children. Her home was a log cabin in the east field of what used to be a plantation in the days of the confederacy. Her life was full of female influences. Sara joined this group of women when her husband her pregnant and alone.








         When Sarah finish her apprenticeship under Willow, Willow told her to go to the birch trees that surround the Sabbath circle. “Spend the night there, walk beneath them, draw from their power, and only then choose from a branch that beckons to you.” She holds out her wand. “In the morning, bring the branch to me. We will bless it and bond it to you with a spell casting celebration by carving your personal brand that connects you with your stave.”


Sarah readies Matilda for a comfortable night, but it might become a long one. It was time for her to find the perfect branch to channel her powers through. Two years of learning spell casting, rituals, and sisterhood from Willow is paying off after dawn breaks. She would be inducted into the sisterhood. She was going to be honored with a staffing. 


         Sarah dressed in her ceremonial black dress, and dressed Matilda to match. This ritual is usually performed alone, but Matilda had been interactive in the training right along the side of her mother.


         She fills the tiny black bag with snacks of berries for her toddler. Sarah and Matilda walk the hidden path toward the ritual grounds where they can search for the tree with the most power from Mother Earth.


         Upon reaching the area, Matilda gathers sticks and twigs. She put as many as she could in her skirt. She knew that all rituals begins with a fire and ends in holy ash. Sarah smiles with proud that her young daughter is so wise. Sometimes she could feel the power radiating from her tiny body as she lays her to sleep at night. Sarah was truly ecstatic to have Matilda to share this with.


         The moon is full. Sarah doesn’t need the flames for light. The flames carry power of their own there under the watchful eyes of so many birch trees.  The birch trees are said to have watched over witches for centuries, and if they are respected they lend power of their strength, nurture, and most of all their sight.


         Sarah lays Matilda down to sleep on the sacred alter to sleep the night away. She need to be able to hone into the power of the trees. If Matilda was close, Sarah may confuse her daughter’s abilities with that of the Might Birch.


         Sarah slowly walks around the trees. She goes from one to another.


Describe the night looking for the right branch


         In the morning, the branch is soon carved into a smooth thin stick. Times taking work created carvings of eyes. The eyes were those that belonged to cats, eagles, owls, and wolves. The handle was the largest part of the wand. It was graven with the different stages of the moons and falling stars.





Describe the ceremony and spell cast upon the wand


         Sarah gathers her daughter.  “Moma,”


         “Yes, Matilda.”


         “Did you get a powerful branch?”


         “Yes, the big tree nearest where you slept has loaned me a limb and a little of her power.” Sarah explains to her young daughter as she reaches the girl some berries to eat on their way home.


         The path was brighter as they walked the mile or so home. The grasses and branches reaching out were damp with dew. The power of the early morning was felt by both.


         “Momma, does the dew die as the sun rises and heats the earth.”


         “No my daughter,” Sarah stepping faster than she means to. She bends over and picks Matilda up to carry her for a quicker journey. The dew waters the earth at night. It gives the creatures of the night drink. The sun dries the earth so that the fields of the day can bloom with color. The creatures of the day can see to flee from harm. The two work together to care for the earth. In return, she gives them her life and serves them with her power.” Sarah is at pace that is nearly running. “It won’t be long until the sun is up. We must make it to Willow for the Staffing before the sun truly wakes up.”


         Upon arrival at Willow’s cottage, Sarah sits Matilda back to her own feet so that the two can walk in together. Willow was dressed in a black plain dress with her hair pulled back in a bun. This was modest apparel for Willow. She ushers Sarah and her child into the middle of the living room. There the laid the branch on a table covered with white and black candles. When the branch was laid down, Willow takes Sarah by the hand. “Close your eyes my daughter,” She tells Sarah. “It is time that you become your own witch.”


         Sarah obeys her, and closes her eyes. Willow seems to reach into Sarah’s mind. For over ten minutes the two are linked hand in hand. Then Willow runs her hand over the branch.





 
IMAGE
reviewer of month of march  (E)
came at the best time
#1926888 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 dipolma  ()
I enjoyed this class
#1850294 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 
IMAGE
Reviewing ribbon  (E)
I am so happy to have been granted this reward..
#1931330 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






My words are ways to leave peices of myself behind for my children
© Copyright 2014 Ida_Matilda_Wright Help (UN: writing_life at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ida_Matilda_Wright Help has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833001-Chapter-three-draft