*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833144-Unavoidable-Cruelty
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#833144 added November 3, 2014 at 11:14am
Restrictions: None
Unavoidable Cruelty?
Blog City Prompt: Have you ever been cruel to be kind? For example, have you told someone the truth, knowing you would upset them? If you don’t want to write about yourself, you can always generalize.


I live in a third-world country. No matter how down I dress, I am identified as a foreign-born person. I am an instant target for beggars and panhandlers, taxi drivers, and poor-shop owners and sidewalk sellers.  There are also crippled people in wheelchairs along the sidewalk as well as young women with infants.

I just live off my SS and pension and the rare royalties from my published books. I must tell all of these poverty-stricken folks, "No, I have no money for you." It's easy to pick out the legitimate ones. The others are the same every day on the same spot in the street.

The tourist season is just starting today. For the summer there will be an average of six cruise ships stopping here each week. That means about ten to fifteen thousand tourists will descend on  Belize within each five days. The above mentioned poor folks have a field day running their beggings,  pleadings, scams, on anyone venturing outside the restricted tourist village or departing on the hundreds of tour buses and vans. I assume they are surviving off the generosity of the visitors.

The tourists on booked tours and experiences are never exposed to the street folk. And I guess it's pretty much the same the world over.

In Belize it is not all bad or sad. There are many church organizations who have missions here. All of the schools are religious sponsored. The younger generations are cared for. And out of the city, the atmosphere is much healthier and progressive.

Something about cities and the hopelessness that happens. Hard to understand the level of cruelty that implies
.

Peace....>>>iggy*Boat*
** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.


© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833144-Unavoidable-Cruelty