*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834242-PERFECTOR-NOT
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#834242 added November 17, 2014 at 11:37am
Restrictions: None
PERFECT...OR NOT?
Blog City Prompt: Is there a relationship between perfectionism and feelings of shame when what we plan to accomplish does not come out quite right? Explore.


If someone feels ashamed because they were not perfect in their performance or job or creation, then they have not learned that absolute perfection is not possible. Especially when you're dealing with human beings or the chaos of nature. I think feelings of shame are often from an outside influence, parents, peers, supervisors. Perhaps related to control?

Writers, artists, musicians, athletes all understand they can do it over and  try again. The drive for perfection will usually inspire another attempt. We admire those who achieve the highest, the best, the most amazing. The Olympics, Opera, Broadway, the Best Seller List---all contribute to the standards of perfection.

I do not see shame about failure part of that level of professionalism. Many of those people are perfectionists who are always striving to beat their personal best. Sometimes disappointed, even depressed, but rarely ashamed.

Working on films, which is a collaborative art, everyone tries to do their part as perfectly as possible. Often there is the opportunity to redo, to shoot it again. Mistakes end up on the cutting room floor, or with digital, simply deleted. Major films have a level of perfection that is almost unbelievable.

The best writers have the ability with their words to inspire, stimulate deep emotional reactions, amuse, entertain and educate. Their words get transformed into those award-winning movies and television productions.

Composers write their notes on paper and a symphony orchestra works to perform their music as perfectly as possible. Another collaborative art.

All of this is just the tip of the iceberg concerning our cultures and civilizations. I'm just sorry that humans have not learned to apply the same intent towards peace and human relations. And for that, I do feel some shame.

Enjoy the perfection that you have... >>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.

© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834242-PERFECTOR-NOT