*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834562-RIGHT-IN-FRONT-OF-YOU
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#834562 added November 21, 2014 at 12:00pm
Restrictions: None
RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!
Raymond Carver says," many writers miss what is right in front of them."Judy Reeves disagrees, she says, "Writers live life on two levels, one we participate in relationships, go about our daily business, interact, respond and perform: the other we observe and take notes." I know it sounds simple but is it. Do you only take notes about what needs to be remembered or are you like Carver indicates oblivious to all that is available. Tell me what you think about their opinions.


Well I know some people, not writers, who miss what is right in front of them. Their level of awareness is only inside the television screen or their penis. Mostly folks who live in service of self, miss out on most of the rest of what goes on around them.

As a writer, I must live on two levels. Daily life requires attention and awareness of everything. Basic things like eating, hygiene, health and in my case, the sailboat. That adds the weather, tides, water, power, batteries, security---all of it constant. I have friends that sometimes need help or encouragement. One friend lost a dog yesterday, and another is in the courts with an abusive partner. Another is a widow facing her first holidays alone. The workers in the marina have problems or need help with tools, or a cup of coffee.

But then on the other level, everything and everyone is potential source material for writing. Maybe not now, anything significant is filed away in my searchable, digital journal. The time of writing is internal---inside my brain. It's another whole place that is always with me.

Another level for me is when I'm reading novels or short stories. I'm totally into them. It's the same for watching films. In my case it's CDs on my small computer screen. Do you realize how much material we store away in our mind each and every day?

When I go back to a new chapter in a book. At the first few sentences I begin to remember everything about the story that I've already read. Before that moment, I only had a vague recollection. Then it's all there. It's a brain-file that opens up. Years later you can look at the book and remember almost everything about the story. I'm in awe of people who have a photographic memory.

The best part about traveling is watching the people on the bus or plane, in the airport or terminal. I don't love the time it takes, but the source material is always new and worthwhile.

Little bits and pieces of these levels are worked into my stories, some from years past, some very new. Isn't life grand?

Peace...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.


© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834562-RIGHT-IN-FRONT-OF-YOU