*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836027-Consciousness-of-Place
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#836027 added December 12, 2014 at 4:59pm
Restrictions: None
Consciousness of Place
Blog City Prompt: Have you ever visited a place that remains in your consciousness, long after you left?
Was it the people? The architecture?


I have two.

The first is the ruins of the ancient city of Persepolis. I've visited the site many times, spending days studying the massive stone work---the walls with intricate carving, the high columns, stairways with hundreds of figures, and the grand doorway arches. Mostly carved from grey limestone, the palaces were started about 518 BC with work continuing for several hundred years. I know there are many other ancient sites, but this one I had access to and it impressed me.

The scale of everything is beyond human size, meant to impress. When Alexander the Great discovered the city in 330 BC, it was the capital of the Persian Empire. Because the Persian army had burned the Greek city of Athens in 480 BC, Alexander burned, looted, and destroyed Persepolis in retribution. Only the stone remains plus the tombs high above, carved into the mountain face.

Persepolis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1979. It is located about 80 miles from the city of Shiraz, Iran.

The second is the old city of Bam in Iran. Built almost entirely out of mud adobe, the city is a major location in my soon to be completed novel, Apex Project. It is another site I've been visiting since about 1974. It the fortress and palace had been restored beautifully only to be destroyed by a massive earthquake. Now the restoration work is about two-thirds completed. There is one photo in my portfolio. "Invalid Item

In both cases it was the architecture that attracted me. I only spent one day, but Pompei in Italy was pretty cool. And now in Belize there are uncounted Mayan sites to explore.

I love all this stuff...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.

© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836027-Consciousness-of-Place