*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838792-HEARTS-WITH-LOVE
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#838792 added January 16, 2015 at 5:18pm
Restrictions: None
HEARTS WITH LOVE?
Blog City Prompt: It made me wonder do people really buy that many Valentine cards. What do you think, do people really mail that many cards? Do you do something special for Valentines Day where you live? Tell us about your customs.


I remember something about red paper hearts in First or Second Grade we made to take home to our mothers. And then not very much after that. I don't think it became a big national deal until the retailers began to feel the profits slump after the Christmas boom.

There never was any kind of tradition within my Wyoming families. It happened mostly to celebrate anniversaries for couples, especially that big 50th Wedding.

Now, the holiday Santas are barely put to bed when out of the wings rush a full blown Valentine sales promotion and merchandise. Flower shops, candy manufacturers, cards for every kind of situation, songs, gifts and special dinners at special restaurants. Guilt galore if you forget or neglect. Any mall in America will look the same. It helps fill the gap before the Easter Bunnies begin to appear and all those fancy baskets.

I believe in the expression of love and a simple kiss on the cheek. And I do understand that the 1% Elite have piles of money to spend on everything possible to keep the economy limping along.  But I'm afraid I'm kind of cynical about Valentines Day for the rest of us.

The Internet can provide email greetings and lots will appear on Facebook. Let it be there and of course on WDC.

Peace...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.
.

© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838792-HEARTS-WITH-LOVE