*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839173-THE-SAD-90
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#839173 added January 22, 2015 at 6:18am
Restrictions: None
THE SAD 90%
Blog City Prompt: They say we only use 10% of our brain. If you could unlock the other 90%, what would you do with it?


I did a little research and found out a thing or two about what's inside my head.

The idea that we use only 10% of our brain capacity seems to be a myth and not related to science.

If you look at studies about brain damage it shows that any kind of injury to the brain causes the loss of some ability. A small injury, no matter where can have a significant effect.

Unless the brain is damaged, when a person is doing somethng, a brain scan shows that all of the brain is active. Some parts may be more active, but all are functioning.

It takes a lot of oxygen and nutrients to support a brain. If 90% were non-functional, then natural selection would have favored the small, low percentage humans. Then where would we be?

With brain imaging technology they can observe a brain working. Even during sleep, the brain is always active with no dead areas showng (unless the brain has been damaged)

At one time or another, all areas of the brain have shown some function when they are doing brain mapping. Brains use different areas for certain functions. They have not found a non-active area.

Scientists can insert a minerature electrode to monitor a single cell in the brain. If 90% were not functioning, they would have long ago discovered that.

(Not for the squeamish) Autopsy of brains show that non-functioning parts, because of damage, tend to degenerate. So a 90% person would have a head full of a gooey mess.

If this is all true then we are doing just fine. You do notice that we keep learning as we get older? And how can you measure the volume of interconnected memories that we have accumulated. Memory and conciseness are still mysteries as well as the ultimate functions of our DNA. Go figure.

Happy thinking! >>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.

© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839173-THE-SAD-90