*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/840707-The-Earthship-Freeville-Song-Day-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Music · #2028835
Each day in Feb 2015 I will choose a song to write about
#840707 added February 7, 2015 at 12:47pm
Restrictions: None
The Earthship Freeville Song-Day 3

The Earthship Freeville Song-Paul Josephs



This Earthship Freeville Song written and sung by Paul Josephs. Paul went to the Earthship Academy to learn how to build these earth homes. Many are familiar with their basic design and for those who are not, these homes are made out of recyclable material, such as bottles, cans, tires, dirt, and other materials. The design of these homes has been brought to the world by Michael Reynolds who used an existing design since the 1960's and has brought them to a whole new level of building houses. For those not familiar with the design, an Earthship is a home that works like a machine, it shelters, feeds, and gives you water. There is a bowl like container on top of the house which catches rain water which travels down a path until it gets to the bottom and goes underground where it will pass through a filtration system then can be the drinking water through taps, from here it goes down the drain and continues to travel to the green house and waters the plants there. The green house can grow any fruit, vegetable, and you can also have a pond for fish. The inside is designed similar to a house many of us are familiar with. The dirt packed tires have heat trapped in them from the sun which will be released when needed so the home stays warm when needed and some air pipes can be installed for the air conditioning of the home depending on where you live. The Reynolds crew has building these homes all over the world and I love how they go to third world countries and help those in need for a home. An example of this is, when Haiti had a huge earthquake in 2010 they went there to help and show the people how to build these homes for themselves.

The words in this song are raw, emotional, and moving to the soul. The video which I will link below is the only copy of this song I have been able to find and it is beautiful. The setting is in the middle of an Earthship build with the materials scattered all over. The song starts out talking about Michael Reynolds then talks about freedom and nature. Paul then sings about the build itself and about Michael who is also known as 'Garbage Warrior' which is a movie about his life and explains the details about the struggle with the government in the violation of codes that his house violate the current codes. An example is, he was having trouble getting the exact temperature of these homes, he was a few degrees off and when he pointed out that when the current homes that run on electricity have no power in the winter when the power goes out the temperature is not at the right standards while the people can freeze to death with his model of home this would not happen because power is generated differently. He even attempted to write a bill and get it passed to change the housing codes and in the end was rejected all because of the greed of the corporations. He also includes his crew in the song which I like how he names the people he works with and says something about them.

We have been building homes in a similar way for over a hundred years or more and the design has not been changed. There are many reasons why this is and some of them have to do with money, greed, corruption, and having to change things such as the electricity companies will be put out of business because their services would not be necessary anymore. I feel this song represents good change that can come about if we want it. Look at the way we are currently living and many things that we do are damaging for the environment and for ourselves, with a change to the Earthship model the planet and each person will be much healthier. One way this can happen is that there is a green house in the home and many will have plants which can be any that you choose throughout the home which can make it feel like you are in the forest, with all the plants in your hope the oxygen levels will be much healthier than even some places outside where in many areas the trees and plant life are not thriving as they should; this will help us breathe better. From the moment I was introduced to these homes through a friend I have fallen in love with them and it is my dream to build one someday then teach others to build their own. I will be linking some sites below for those interested in learning more and also Paul Josephs music site.





Michael Reynolds Earthship Biotecture-Offical Site

http://earthship.com/



Paul Josephs Music Site

http://www.pauljosephs.com/1ix1gyp48ltx79n2y8xe58sln4r2fa


© Copyright 2015 TJ Marie (UN: snow_hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TJ Marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/840707-The-Earthship-Freeville-Song-Day-3