*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842495-Its-been-84-years
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2029789
A book of postings made in my Blog City
#842495 added February 25, 2015 at 2:35am
Restrictions: None
It's been 84 years...
Prompt: Take a quote from your favorite movie. This is the title of your prompt. Write it.

It in the first few scenes of Titanic. Rose is on the investing vessel with the research team and starts to tell her personal account of when the Titanic sank.

"It has been 84 years..." she starts out and one of the crewmen misunderstands and try to set her at ease.

"It's ok. Take your time, anything you can remember will be helpful."

"Do you want to hear this story or not Mr. (I forget his name)?" Rose proves that just because she is older is no reason to count her out of the game.

I love that part of the movie. The movie is one of my favorites, but those few lines always stay with me. I have always thought that people dismiss the elderly much, much too fast. They hold 1st accounts of history. They were there, they lived it. How much closer can you get to the past?

I love to get elders talking about the past. It makes it so real for me. Be it a mere 30years ago when I was alive but not yet aware or over 45 years ago when I was not even a possibility yet. Regardless if it a simple 1st account of life in an untouched town that wasn't affected by anything or an account of the 1st released bomb at Pearl Harbor from a than 10 year old girl who watched in wonder as the it fell though the sky and missed the beach by splashing in the water on the other side of roped off swimming area for the locals.

When I listen to and watch the story teller, it transport me to that exact moment in time. No matter how detailed the account is or isn't. If I watch the story teller any gaps are filled with the range of emotions dancing across the face of the story teller.

I have always believed that real history is inside our elders, who could teach us so much more about life. All we have to do is have the courage to face humanities mortality and give credit to those who have survived though the test of time itself.





Taz

Embracing & Feeding the writing addiction

© Copyright 2015 Taz_Koby (UN: rj_koby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Taz_Koby has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842495-Its-been-84-years