*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843091-competition
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2029789
A book of postings made in my Blog City
#843091 added March 3, 2015 at 1:24am
Restrictions: None
competition
Prompt: What is your opinion on the idea of competition? Is competition a good thing or a bad thing, and does it promote progress at all?

It all depends on the level of the competition. I believe like anything else it needs to be in moderation.

I am not a completive person by nature, but I know plenty that are. In fact I live with 2 of them.

My son and husband can get so worked up it is challenging to be around them. That competitiveness has helped them, but I would like to see it put aside sometimes. Like when we are doing stuff as a family. It takes the fun out it for me and has been known to turn each of them ugly too.
I get having goals and wanting to improve, and I am there when they need a cheer leader to encourage them, I bring them up when things go south and praise them when things go in their favor. It is just a bit much sometimes when they loose their sportsman ship, get moody, and forget to support others that are trying to have fun or improve themselves. Which is exactly what happens when we practice as a family.
I am in no way good at sports, yet no matter how much I improve I get no praise. They are always seeking out what I have done wrong and need to work on, forgetting that I do it for fun.
In fact even I mention that they bet me (in hopes of bring it around to fun again) I get a list of what they did wrong or slapped in the face with the fact that beating me is no great feat.

Like I said before I get that I am not competitive as they are but that is no excuse for rude & ugly.

Yes, I do believe competitiveness can be good and helpful. As long as it is used to set & achive goals, to improve oneself, or to add a bit of challenge to an activity. However, I also believe it needs to be done in moderations. If it makes a person forget common courtesies to point of ugliness or robs a person of a portion of their life like the heartless parents that force the youngest of children to waste away their childhood practicing and participating in pageants that have no additive for life..than it is too much.

That is my perception of the subject.

Taz

Embracing & Feeding the writing addiction

© Copyright 2015 Taz_Koby (UN: rj_koby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Taz_Koby has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843091-competition