*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845784-FRESH-PICKED
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#845784 added April 4, 2015 at 8:06am
Restrictions: None
FRESH PICKED!
Blog Ciy Prompt: Why do you think food tastes better when it comes straight from a farm? Would you consider living on a farm? Why or Why not.


The big difference in taste happens when produce is harvested and gets to your table in the shortest amount of time. It is important that the fruits and vegetables are allowed to ripen on the vine or tree. Commercial procedure requires early harvest so the produce can “survive” storage and transport. And then they’re often chemically treated to extend shelf life.

The same problems exist of the methods of production of meat and diary products. Imagine chickens that never get out into sunlight or scratch in the dirt. Their eggs have to be less nutricious. The same for cows that are penned and confined. They need to be outside and grazing on grass to give useful milk.

I don’t think you have to live on a farm, but you really need to find the nearest fresh produce market. In Belize, that’s pretty much all we have. Lots of individual sellers bring whatever they’ve picked that morning to market. Saturday is the big market day so lots of trucks some in on Friday night. Prices are cheap because they are all in competition with each other. Nothing is packaged, you pick your own. It’s amazing!

Living on a farm is LOTS OF WORK. Then you are pretty much tied to it, especially with animals. But that’s where the good food comes from. Your choice.

Happy Easter...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.



© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845784-FRESH-PICKED