*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848151-How-to-help-a-struggling-writer
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#848151 added April 27, 2015 at 3:39pm
Restrictions: None
How to help a struggling writer
Let’s put on our editor’s hats and help someone who has handed in his novel’s manuscript. Even before the middle, you find out that the central problem is extremely weak, so weak that it doesn’t even make sense (to you) for the writer to have written as much as he has. In which ways would you assist this writer, or else, what would you say to him?

Here is what I've done in the past. I review what I know.
I will write the author the following:

A. This is the main character and this is his/her goal. As I see it.
B. Here is what I think is motivating him/her. There seems to be a disconnect near the middle. He/she has lost their motivation, or it could be the story is lacking conflict.
C. I may offer some ideas of conflict or pick a sub-character to expand to offer the reader/writer a different sub-plot. I tip toe to interact with the writer as much as they are willing to accept help. This is the tricky part. What does the writer really want? If they continue to ask questions and give answers or suggestions for my input I will continue to help. If they stop talking or become defensive, then I back off and tell them I think I've done all I can for them.

I'm in the same boat. I have a middle that I can't find a subplot or sub character to expand to.  Where can I insert a subplot that won't take away from the main story? Will I have to pick up this new sub plot earlier so it isn't jarring when I cut to a chapter about them? I have these two characters on a course set for them. I need to work on I wish I had someone that would take my outline and help me go forward.
there is the wife Of MC2 and her children. They are heading out of town. Could I pick up the fact they can't tell any one why they are leaving in such a hurry?
I saw this conflict in a movie. Enigma about Alan Turing. At one point in the story they discovered the clue to decripting the German codes. BUT they couldn't just dump the information into the system or the Germans would figure out they knew the codes. They had to pick and chose their battles, thus playing GOD so to speak. It was a turning point in the war, but one of the men had a brother who was lost when his ship was sunk because they couldn't tell anyone they knew where the german subs were.
What they did was a choice.  I have the same situation. If the bombers succeed, The MC2's wife and family live. Other families may lose someone. If they announce the airport is under threat, there will be a mass of people running and they won't catch the bombers even if they do detonate the bomb. 

I have dropped this story for a while and have started redrafting an old story.




Tina Weaver-Published
Merit Badge in Just Because
[Click For More Info]

 Just Because...  I love what you have done with your portfolio header! Bio-Block and your Image are both promoting your book:      THE VANISHING OF KATHERINE SULLIVAN  by Christina Weaver.    
   
Great Job! I give it: *^*Star*^**^*Star*^**^*Star*^**^*Star*^**^*Star*^* 

       


             

© Copyright 2015 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848151-How-to-help-a-struggling-writer