*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848689-The-Seat-Behind-Her
by Shaara
Rated: ASR · Book · Children's · #807125
These are pieces for and/or about teens.
#848689 added May 3, 2015 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
The Seat Behind Her
This is an illustration for a teen story.



The Seat Right Behind Me



Charlie never looked back at me although I sat behind him all through sixth grade. I think he never even knew the color of my hair or eyes. I bet he didn’t notice anything about me, except that I was a girl.

In seventh grade he sat at the back of the room in my algebra class. He was so smart, the teacher always called on him, and Charlie knew every answer, but he didn’t know my name. I know because he was supposed to work with me on a project, and he said, “Who is that?” to the teacher.

In eighth grade Charlie pretended he’d never seen me, even though we had worked for weeks on that project and gotten an “A” on it.

When we graduated from junior high, Charlie was right behind me. Of course, they called my name, but he probably didn't listen. Besides, he really should have known by then.

My freshman year, when I asked Charlie to the girls ask boys dance, he pretended he couldn’t remember my last name. Why is it I remember everything about Charlie? I give up.

Months followed, months where Charlie still didn't seem to know me. He never returned my smiles and hellos. In fact, he never even seemed to notice them.

And then one day, he called me by name.

“Charlene,” Charlie said as I was walking down the hall with Tracy. I stopped and waited. I thought he probably just needed a homework assignment.

Charlie's hair had gotten lighter. I think he’d done something to it. The streaks of gold looked cool. He had on new Nikes, too. Charlie was really looking good. I sighed and told myself to stop dreaming about him.

“You need to see my math notes, or did you lose your assignment?” I asked when Charlie kept standing there not saying anything. But he just kept clearing his throat and shuffling his feet.

He shot a glance over at Tracy, who was waiting, leaning on the wall and watching us. Charlie didn’t answer me. I sighed again and opened up my notebook to find the assignment.

“No,” Charlie said, and his hand trying to stop me from getting out the notes, touched mine. He retracted like I’d bitten him. His face turned tomato red.

I sighed once more and shot a glance at my watch. He saw the look and cleared his voice again.

“There’s a dance Friday,” he said.

I almost dropped my books. I looked up at him, my mouth dropping stupidly open.

“Would you go with me?” he said, croaking worse than a teacher with laryngitis.

The bell rang, but I shot a “yes" at him before he ran off. Charlie runs funny, but he’s still so cute. My heart pitter-pattered just like in the Fishbowl’s new song:

Your heart is a dove
When it’s really love.
Pitter-patter
Pitter-patter
Take it easy, and it’ll come,
Then it beats just like a drum.
Pitter-patter
Pitter-patter

I couldn’t wait for math class. It was right after lunch. Guess who always sat in the seat right behind me!


This is an illustration for a story for TWAU.

© Copyright 2015 Shaara (UN: shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848689-The-Seat-Behind-Her