*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852461-TO-OWN-BOOKS
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#852461 added June 25, 2015 at 9:51am
Restrictions: None
TO OWN BOOKS...
                   
Blog City image smallPrompt: Would you rather have 12 published paperback books or 5 published hard cover novels in your life time?

         
         Well, you present the problem of physical books made of paper. I am a person who travels and have often moved from country to country and back again. To own books you have to have a place---like I did in San Francisco, and Hawaii and Wyoming and Iran. Each place I had many books, and often big reference and art history books. (I love books). But each time I had to leave them behind.
         
         Now with air travel the weight is prohibitive, and living in a sailboat-yacht the space is very limited and the moisture and termites destroy books very fast. So I have no books now except some very worn paperbacks of dictionary and thesaurus, navigation and charts. Everything else is digitized and on hard drives.
         
         Books are on my Kindle Reader and just Rich Text copies of stuff I’ve collected. And all of it can fit on a tiny USB ssd or flash. My novels and all the work files and images and years and years of photos, and music...all there. I’m careful and keep lots of copies of those files in different places---and upgrade as technology changes.
         
         This is a different world we live in folks. And I don’t trust cloud storage as they get hacked and changed too often. And if we lose electricity, I have solar panels to charge. The electric sailboat needs those too. And if all else fails, there is still pencil and paper. But I suppose that should be stored in air-tight water proof bags.
         
         I had hard copies of my published books in Tehran. They are still there, sealed in a bag. Now I do have one copy of my new book, Apex Project. I take it out and hold it once in a while. Of course, I think it looks better on Kindle, and you can enlarge the print size.
         
         Still a printed book is a thing of ancient wonder.,,>>>iggy *Boat*
         
banner with iguana The WYRM group banner.


© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852461-TO-OWN-BOOKS