*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/853937-Cub-Scout-Day-Camp-Adventures--More-about-that-Pelican
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#853937 added July 10, 2015 at 2:42pm
Restrictions: None
Cub Scout Day Camp Adventures & More about that Pelican!
It's been a busy, wild week for me. I signed up my son for cub scout day camp. He's a Webelos 1 and quite honestly, I didn't feel comfortable him going to day camp without me due to his expressive language disorder and sensory processing disorder so I signed up to be a volunteer. I'm a den leader for his den so I'm comfortable being around him and kids.

The day camp was held at Verdugo Oaks Boy scout camp just north of Castaic off the Templin Hwy exit (on the 5 Fwy). It was about a 15 minute drive north of us. We had to be there at 8 with an ice chest to hold the lunches. The boys arrive by 830. Then we have opening ceremonies and starting at 0905 our 50 min rotations begin. There are a lot of rotations and a lot of activities!!

Field Sports
Cub Grubb
Archery
BB Guns
Slingshots
Pool
Flight School
Woodworking
Arts & Crafts
Scout Skills
had a presentation on the MARS rover.

Heck, I'm pooped!!
The day ended at 0430 pm each day and I was exhausted. I know my son was. We had to get to bed early each night.
He accomplished a bunch of things that were very challenging to him like making paper airplanes, hammering a nail, painting, marbles, slight shots, archery and bb guns.

It just warmed my heart to see him do things despite his fine motor issues. Oh he had a couple of meltdowns I had to talk him down from, and a couple of the boys in the den thought he was autistic, but it was nothing I couldn't manage. Because of his meltdowns and his sensory processing issues, it's easy to think he's autistic, but he's not. He will make eye contact with you, hug you, and when his engine is just right, he'll do everything a mainstream boy can. I've seen 2 doctors at two separate times in Joe's life and both say no autisim. That's good enough for me. I'll deal with the rest of his issues. He sees a speech therapist, an occupational therapist and I'm going to call the school sometime this summer to set up a 504 plan on him.

If you'd like to see a couple of silly videos and photos from the week visit my facebook page and go down past the 1st 3 posts. Overall, it's been a rewarding week. https://www.facebook.com/stephanie.burkhart.9


The Pelican

The kid laughed as the pelican gagged on some flaming hot Cheetos. I shook my head in disgust. The kid must have been about three or four. Glancing over I spied his family sitting around the picnic table stuffing their faces with freshly grilled steaks and corn.

To be continued....

From the Headlines:

Omar Sheriff died.
With California in a wicked bad drought, Tom Selleck stole water from a city fire hydrant.
South Carolina took down the Confederate Flag.


© Copyright 2015 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/853937-Cub-Scout-Day-Camp-Adventures--More-about-that-Pelican