*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855020-What-Day-is-it
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#855020 added July 21, 2015 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
What Day is it?

There are numerous old cliches and quotes about living for the moment, taking one day at a time and not worrying about the future, but our world seems to have forgotten them.

It is July 21st. Summer officially began on June 21st. I'm no great mathematician, but I reckon we are one month into summer and there are still two whole months before autumn takes over. Our children break up from school this week for the long summer break.

Yet when I go into the city department stores all the summer goods are now in the sales. Drab and dark heavy winter clothes and boots are creeping into displays as if it's something to look forward to and on the impending horizon.

Supermarkets are removing gardening, barbecue and outdoor goods and filling up the shelves with 'Back to School' paraphernalia. They haven't even broken up yet for heaven's sake. In a couple of weeks I suspect witches costumes, plastic pumpkins, skeletons and spiders will creep onto the shelves, swiftly followed by fireworks and then the inevitable onslaught of the time of year I can't even mention never mind start thinking about. Who knows what may happen before then?

There's a certain logic in my local craft shop already stocking materials and patterns for knitting snowmen, elves and other associated figures, but when one of the knitters and natters tells me she's bought and wrapped all her gifts in June I'm not sure whether I want to slit my wrists or stick a knife in her. What is the matter with people?

No wonder time races along and has no meaning when society in general seems so preoccupied with what’s ahead of us instead of taking time to enjoy where we are.

I still try to plan only one day at a time and focus on what I need to do alongside spontaneous activities I can include to savour. On impulse we decided to go for a day at the seaside with Paul and family on Sunday and it was indeed a very pleasant day. Lots of laughs, photos and memories to store. Aren’t these days what life is made of? I realise we need things to look forward to and some planning is essential in life. Over the next couple of weeks I have appointments, walks, craft classes, birthdays and reunions to attend and sort out, but there is no way I want to see or hear about returning to school, winter or all the other hype that goes with it. Can anyone explain the logic of those who do?



What day is it?"
It's today," squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day," said Pooh.”
A.A. Milne

© Copyright 2015 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855020-What-Day-is-it