*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856476-Shake-Your-Rump
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2051779
A semi-fictional account of the greatest hip-hop record ever created.
#856476 added August 4, 2015 at 1:23pm
Restrictions: None
Shake Your Rump
The first step toward self-reinvention is to forget what you know. What made you. Chances are, you'll want to anyway. You're at this point for a reason.

1a would be clicking the awareness box to ensure you don't give a f*** about how you look or what anyone else thinks. I'm here for me. I'm gonna do what I like, and everyone else be d*****. There might be some embellishment involved...but not too much. I can't stand that s***. There's a fine line between unbelievable and unbelievable, if ya know what I'm sayin'. And while I've been through some times and seen some things, eventually you're gonna wind up being memorable to someone for something...whatever that is. Being self-conscious isn't the way to getting there...especially when no one's taken you seriously before anyway. There's room to grow, marks to make, and eventually respect to be earned.

I'm gonna go to that playground across town...see what's up there. I'll slide my dirty old mitt over my handlebars and peddle my a** off in this August heat. I'll swing that bat. I respect the game and its past and its long history. I'll work b***s-out like I've always done. But the first time that baseball clears the infield, high, and out of everyone else's expectations and preconceived ideas of reach, I'm not putting my head down and just dropping the stick and running. I'm gonna admire it. I earned it, and I earned that right...I gotta enjoy the moment for what it is. I can't expect them to last forever; I don't wanna be 40 and wondering how different life would be if I didn't react, or worse- the anti-reaction. Strike while the iron's hot I guess, as much as cliches are overplayed and have lost their meaning.

And if no one expects anything else but the same ol' same ol', then there's no harm or worry about disappointing anyone.

That's the new now. Ride each moment like you stole beer from grandma. Round those basepaths like you're hitchin' a ride on a punchdrunk unicorn who just ran off with the lunch they were lookin' forward to since the moment they saw their mama makin' it. Step on that flat pentagon like you've been there before, even for but a few seconds or twirls of your homeboy's arm...only, you haven't been there. Not in this way, at least. Shake that a**...not for what it's worth, but for what it's earned for the future; when they're pickin' mitts on the mound next time to determine teams, that captain's gonna feel around for mine because he knows I can ball and provide some entertainment alongside the main show. That's how you know you're "in the club". There's your acceptance, without it even needing to be said.

I'm gonna dance. I'm gonna make someone proud. Even if it's just me. No more being doubted daily! This...this is the new now. Me. The swagger is already built in...now's the time to learn how to let it out.

Lyrics.  



Word Count: 505.
© Copyright 2015 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856476-Shake-Your-Rump