*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859060-52ifbc-Serena
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nonsense · #2050715
Thoughts and takes on the way life presents....
#859060 added September 3, 2015 at 7:46am
Restrictions: None
52ifbc: Serena
** Image ID #2048596 Unavailable **
“Cut. That’s a wrap. Put a rush on the editing. We need this ready for the exec meeting on Friday.”
Serena unfolder herself from the uncomfortable position the choreographers managed to get her in. This particular song was not her favorite, but Jeff, her agent, had a way of picking winners and getting her to the top of the charts. This one promised to be his first miss. She did not like the lyrics, the choreography, the wardrobe or the props.
Serena had to express her displeasure, “Jeff, I don’t want to present that to the producers. It sucks. You’re going to blow my first chance at a TV audience.”
Jeff stretched to his full 6 foot height, managing to look like a Greek Adonis in the process. “Editing, my dear, editing. I just need the basic blueprint for them and we can edit later.”
“No more album covers with angel wings! And we need to tighten up the lyrics and get a decent choreographer.”
“If angel wings sell, you will shoot an album cover with wings. You will perform with wings.”
“You’re fired.”
“Fire me later. Talk to the producers on Friday. The layout and demos will be ready. You will be fine.”
“No more angel wings. No more. I’m serious.”
“Friday. Be ready.”
She could hear Jeff’s laughter fading as the door closed behind him. Most people would not find being flipped off so humorous.
Serena found a phone and furiously punched in the number for her lawyer. Her foot found a rhythm to tap out while she waited impatiently for the connection to hit. Serena hated that Barbie doll of a secretary he had. She always had to wait on hold so long. Serena knew it was on purpose. She was muttering profanities when Jeff’s singsong greeting grated on her eardrums. She cut him off, “I fired Jeff, but he is not taking it seriously. What did you do?”
She listened with careful attention to the sugar sweet legalese coming from Tim. He could be so arrogant and so condescending.
Serena accused, “You’re giving me the shaft!”
“No. You were the one that wanted a long-term no outs contract with him and only him. It’s 1972. This is how you play the game. What did you expect?”
“Bastard. I expected to get to choose what I wanted. I expected respect. You are not for me at all.”
“Serena, I tried to tell you …”
Serena slammed down the receiver. Serena had grown up poor and all these high power players were using her and she did not know how to even the playing field. Serena gave herself a shake and swiped away the tears that were rolling down her cheeks before calling the one person who never let her down. Grandma would know what to do and how to straighten this out. “Hi, Gran, you have time to talk?”

© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859060-52ifbc-Serena