*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859682-Neighborhood-Yards
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#859682 added September 10, 2015 at 12:22pm
Restrictions: None
Neighborhood Yards
         I rode around in my own subdivision today looking for a particular residence. I knew that houses ranged from reasonable to huge and elegant, nothing close to flashy rich. But I was surprised to find a very rustic area, where the integrity of nature has been preserved. I love that look. The wood siding combined with brick, lots of decks and rustic railing. It hit me that you don't have to be so careful about yard maintenance in that kind of neighborhood. If there are vines on the ground, so what? Leaves? Who cares?

         Unfortunately, I live near the entrance on the main road. It's several miles long. Expensive houses are intermingled with cheaper ones like mine. We sometimes have the redneck yard of the week. But no one would notice if we weren't in the middle of all those nicely manicured lawns with perfect mulching. If I ever get to choose another home, I'm going for that country or rural look. Trimming shrubs and pulling weeds is too much when you have other things to do. I don't even like dusting inside the house, and that's necessary everywhere. I certainly don't like dusting outside the house.

         I used to have a magnet on my refrigerator that said "Dull women who have immaculate homes". That was my excuse. I have too many things to do, like read, research, community service. I can't do that much housework--only what really has to be done. Then I moved in with my father and what has to be done increased substantially. Using the magnet as my standard, you can look at my home and see I must be pretty exciting!

         I'd still rather spend time on the Internet or in a book than dust furniture when I'm not at work. Or pull weeds, though the latter can be a good calorie burner. I need to drive around my community more and see what's there.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859682-Neighborhood-Yards