*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860522-He-Wont-Go
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #2052168
All stories will follow this Adele album.
#860522 added October 20, 2015 at 7:54pm
Restrictions: None
He Won't Go
He Won't Go Lyrics

Miranda learned early in her career that meeting potential clients started when you hung up the phone two weeks ago.  The details were in her closet.  Ann Taylor suits paired with Pepe Jimenez/Amour shoes.  This was the day.  She had been running the talking points through her head all morning. 

Miranda quietly cursed at every idiot that took all the on-street parking spaces.  She hated paying inflated prices for the ramps.  It was always stay two hours and one minute for $12.00 or $24.00 if your meeting was complete in less time.  With an exaggerated flourish, she pressed the “Take Ticket” button while making a mental note of how long she would have to stay downtown to get the best value for this parking fee.  No one could understand why she would hunt for the best deal, yet have a closet full of expensive shoes and suits and often foot the bill at outings.  Even this car was a fantastic deal and looked expensive. 

It was the thrill of the hunt.  If she could get an expensive looking item at a reasonable price, she would get it.  She earned enough to pay full price, but that’s not the way she was raised. 

Miranda found a parking space and exited her Corolla. She scanned the parking area before inserting the key in the trunk to retrieve her purse and portfolio.  She scanned the parking area a second time as she relatched the trunk hood.  Two of her friends had their purses stolen in a parking ramp because they were not paying attention.  Miranda learned from their mistakes.

Miranda’s power walk to the office was slowed when her attention was caught by a little girl at the corner.  She must be about five years old or so.  She was not crying, moving, or looking around.  Just standing there. 

Curiosity was too strong.  “Hello, there.  Where are your parents?”
Sad brown eyes drifted up to meet Miranda’s.  She pointed to the alley. There was a woman sitting against a brick wall.

Normally Miranda would not approach a vagrant.  But this woman was not a vagrant and she was not moving.  At all.  “Ma’am!  Are you all right?”

“She won’t wake up," came the plaintive advisory from the youngster.

Miranda contemplated her options for a few seconds.  She cautiously approached the woman.  No movement.  She kicked the woman’s leg and demanded, “Ma’am, are you all right?”

Miranda inwardly cringed when the kick caused the woman to fall sideways.  “Young lady, I have to call 9-1-1.”


*****
A few hours later in the police headquarters, Miranda approached the one who identified himself as Officer Mike Dolan.  She had gotten the girl to tell her name, and now she clung to Miranda.  “Honey, can you loosen your grip around my neck?”

The girl was insistent, “I don’t want you to leave me here!"

Focusing her attention on the only police officer who seemed to have any interest in her situation, Miranda addressed him firmly, “Sir, I lost my presentation, Mary won’t go with anyone else.  Her dad looks so …. I don’t know …. strung out is the only thing that comes to mind.  Surely you can’t let him take her.”

“Child Protective Services has been called.”

Mary’s tightened her grip around Miranda’s neck.  “No.  Don’t leave me!”

Miranda stared at Officer Mike silently commanding him to do something. 

“Look, Ma’am…”

“No, you look.  I am 45, never married, no kids, but even I know I would be a better guardian for her than that sorry excuse for a father.  Get me the papers, run a background and let me take her home.” 

“There are steps that need to be taken…”

“Then take them.”

Miranda felt the dampness on her neck.  It was the only way Miranda knew that Mary was crying.  This little girl saw way too much if she could cry so silently and gently.

Miranda found a seat away from everyone.  “Honey, they may not let you come with me.  If your dad …”

“No!”  Mary sounded so mournful talking between sniffles. 

“He has a problem, but maybe if he goes to a hospital …”

“He won’t go.  Mommy said he was sick and he didn’t want us anymore.”

“Do you know what happened with your mommy and daddy?”

“I was bad.  They wanted the little pills more than me.”

“Oh, sweetie, you have seen more than anyone your age should see.”


[word count:  743]

Some say, I'll be better without you,
They don't know you like I do,
Or at least as far as I thought I knew
I can't bear this time,
It drags on, as I lose my mind
Reminded by things I find
I know some clothes you left behind.
Wake me up, wake me up when all is done
I won't rise until this battle's won
My dignity is become undone
But I won't go
I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
I won't go, I can't do it on my own,
If this is ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
So petrified, I'm so scared to step into this right,
What if I lose my heart and fail the climb?
I won't forgive me if I gave up trying
I heard his voice today
I didn't know a single word he said
Now I'm resemblance to the man I met
Just a vague and broken boy instead
But I won't go, I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
I won't go, I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
There will be times, we'll try and give it up
Bursting at the seams, no doubt
We almost fall apart and burn up easy
So watch them turn to dust
But nothing will ever taint us
I won't go, I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
I won't go, I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
Will he, will he still remember me?
Will he still love me even when he's free
Or will he go back to the place where
He will choose the poison over me?
When we spoke yesterday
He said to hold my breath, to sit and wait
I'll be home [so] soon, I won't be late
He won't go
He can't do it on his own
If this ain't love, then what is?
He's willing to take the risk
So I won't go, I can't do it on his own,
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk
'Cause he won't go
He can't do it on his own
If this ain't love, then what is?
We're willing to take the risk
I won't go! I can't do it on my own
If this ain't love, then what is?
I'm willing to take the risk

Read more: Adele - He Won't Go Lyrics | MetroLyrics


© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860522-He-Wont-Go