*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861043-Long-Ago-in-the-Mountains
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#861043 added September 27, 2015 at 12:38am
Restrictions: None
Long Ago, in the Mountains
As Martin looked down upon Jess, five days after her ordeal at the operating table, he realized how pale she was. He sat gently at the edge of the bed so as not to wake her. He took her hand in his and closed his eyes and prayed.

Jess awoke. She stared at the strange man with his eyes closed, holding her hand. She tried to pull her hand away from his grip.

"Jess, thank goodness you are awake!" Martin was delighted.

"Who are you?" Jess' voice came out faint.

"It's me, Dad," Martin was taken back.

Jess stared hard. She closed her eyes, opened them, and closed them again. She began to fidget, her eyes empty and blank.

"How do you feel? Do you hurt?" Martin tried to calm Jess. Without upsetting Jess, he hurried to the door and called for a nurse.

"All right, Sir," the nurse came running in. "What is wrong?"

"My daughter, she does not recognize me." Martin was visibly upset.

"Please calm down, Sir, I will call the doctor." The nurse disappeared. Within a few seconds, Dr. Ben, the family doctor, came. He looked at Jess, and saw the blank look in her face.

"Martin, please do not worry. It is a post-operative condition. Jess cannot recognize you at this time. She will recover one day, when, we do not know. Just be patient with her."

"Oh, my God, is it that bad? Will she come out of it?" Martin felt a heavy burden was lifted off his shoulder.

"Yes, she will. She had a most frightening experience, falling and losing consciousness." Dr. Ben patted Martin on the shoulder. "I recommend that you and/or your wife should be here every day. Your presence may help Jess recover much quicker."

"Thanks Dr. Ben. I will be here and probably Grace will come today. She had been very worried."

"Good. Please give my regards to Grace." Dr. Ben shook Martin's hand and left.

Martin looked at Jess. He sighed. He smiled to show Jess he was not a stranger.

"Do you want me to tell you a story?" Martin asked.

Jess nodded but her eyes searched the face of the stranger.

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl called, Jessica." Martin began. "That little girl was good and kind. Her Mom and Dad loved her very much."

Jess' eyes began to droop. Within minutes her eyes closed completely in sleep.

"She needs more rest." The nurse whispered behind Martin. "You can go and have something to eat. I will take care of your daughter."

"Thank you," Martin said and slipped away. The image of Jess sleeping peacefully stayed with him as he reached for the telephone to call Grace.


(to be continued)














© Copyright 2015 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861043-Long-Ago-in-the-Mountains