*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862490
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2059791
Prep for Nanowrimo 2015 - I completed my 50,000 words by November 14, 2015.
#862490 added October 24, 2015 at 4:50pm
Restrictions: None
Day 20 - Outline Revision #3 & Chronological Timeline
Tuesday, Oct. 20
*Bullet* Required: Outline Revision #3 â–¼

The third draft of your outline.
Options:
*Bullet* Using traditional outline format (Traditional Outline ): fill in some of the gaps and start developing subplots.
*Bullet* The Snowflake Method : Write a one-paragraph summary of each key character's personal storyline.

Okay... here is what I have from Outline Revision #2:
Revision:
Beginning: starts in a conflict: [Complication or inciting incident: This is the complication that provides the occasion for the story. Every story must have an inciting incident to kick-start it. Something must happen that changes the protagonist's world and by doing so, creates a problem/goal.]
He has shut her down when she had tried to talk to him a few days before... needs to be on his terms.
It blows up when Taryn accepts and starts an LTO that starts after March Break (a 6 week position) - the week he was to have holidays. (In December they didn't go away because he decided that they wouldn't, but in March when she makes the decision he is not as compliant) She did ask if he was okay with her applying and accepting this job before she applied. He was not overly communicative - a grump, so she decided to go for it and see if she would get it.
The argument takes place when she is working... so that she is at her most vulnerable - probably 2 weeks into the job. Carson has a way of making her feel bad and guilty for doing things the does not sanction. He adds in that he is frustrated that she neglects the house and other responsibilites (making his lunches) in favour of not working summers... and devoting time to writing.
At this point in their conversation he has not been unfaithful and he tells her we would never be because women cost him too much money.

Development: (This is the second part of the outline. The development steps that lead to the resolution. Act II)
Over the next months Carson becomes more and more uncommunicative and puts up walls to keep Taryn in the dark. Part of this tactic is to make himself feel okay with hanging with new 'friends' - one of which is a woman from work who lives in London. He goes to London to initially play pool and starts to stay with her. He spends his time going places with this woman instead of Taryn.
Taryn suspects something - because their have been phone calls where no one says anything and if he answers he will often take the phone out of her hearing range... outside or another part of the house. This tapers off as he gets the woman to text him. Taryn notices that he has added a texting component to his phone (she sees a copy of his services laid out in plain sight), he also has a private code on his phone that she does not know - he claims to have done it because he forgot his phone at work one time and thought it safer to put a code in so no one will steal it - uncoded phones are easier to steal and use.
He goes to the States during his first week off - he tells Taryn he is going and that he will be going alone - he takes the other woman; returning to London to hang with her and do the zip lines in London. He does not tell her he is back in Canada until he is ready to come home. He won't use his phone when he is in the States.
During Shut Down he goes camping to Algonquin park with friends - the other woman is part of this group.
For both those trips, Carson tells Taryn where he is going... and also says no cell phone service in those situations so she can't contact him.
It is when he is away that she finds out that she has gotten a half time morning position at Suddaby - she finds she does not bother to tell him. As he is so disinterested in her at that point. She also gets a part time position at a bookshop - this she tells him, but he is not excited for her - he just nods and walks away.
She does celebrate with her mother and Gwyn - her best friend.
In August when they normally take their holidays together he tells he nothing until the last minute - saying he is going camping in Algonquin Park again - he actually goes White Water rafting down the Ottawa River with the other woman and others. Taryn asks if he will be home for their anniveresary - he grudgingly says yes. He comes home on the tenth for a dentist appointment and stays home until noon of the 12th which the day after their anniversary = they do nothing special. Taryn doesn't even give him the card she bought him as he is so stand offish and cold. during this time, the bookshop is very accommodating to her availability - she is not sure if she will be away so she asks for only hours at the beginning and end of the time and limited shifts.... when she finds out she will be alone she asks for more hours and is granted several other shifts.
Things deteriorate from there. Returning home from his vacation he is even more uncommunicative and will often leave without even saying where he's going or when he'll be back - she asks and get bare answers. Enough to know not to bother cooking. A few times he leaves when she is cooking and doesn't stay for the meal.
Taryn decides to be proactive and has been looking into possible living arrangements - she has also been moving her books and extra school supplies into a storage facility. A teacher at her new school tells her about a friend who is renting rooms in an old house... she says they may have a room available for September. Taryn goes to meet Myra and Thomas. She hits it off immediately.
She does not take the room until.... the other woman calls her? or she just decides it is time to make a decision and go? I think it is when Carson announces he is fed up with the kids in the area and he is putting the house on the market to be sold... this way he thinks he has made the 'decision'.

Also over this are conversations and thought moments where Taryn is able to share the good, the bad and the ugly with her mother and best friend.

Here are some of the 'thought backs'
*Thoughts back
Taryn thinks back to her wedding day and remembers the criticisms that Carson had leveled at her that day - how to kiss during the reception dinner, how to mingle after the dance began, although she liked their wedding song it was not one of the romantic ones she would have chosen.

*Another Thoughts back moment
The Women Writer's Group - met Thursday nights in Guelph
Taryn would stay in Guelph after her day working as a EA in order to go to the writing group from 7 to 9:30 pm. She would leave on a high; inspired and fueled to do more writing, but when she got home Carson would pick those nights to rail into her about things she had neglected to do around the house. This happens each time and eventually she stopped going to the writing group... and writing stopped for awhile.... but eventually she began again because, for her, writing is her essence. It is like breathing. It also helps relieve her anxieties.

"You do what you want to do, but forget about doing things around here.!"

**These Thought Backs strengthen her resolve to move on away from Carson and to reclaim who SHE is.

Other things she remembers:
*how being herself around her family always resulted in offending Carson - "Why did you say that?" "Why would you go that?" Things that had her doubting herself... when talking to those family members later they weren't concerned, they laughed at the interactions... only she was dealing with Carson's disgust. This makes being with her family when he is around uncomfortable for her - she tries to stay quiet, but finds she will relax and say something everytime.

When she says Carson doesn't read... then qualifies it to say he doesn't read novels... he says this on the way home -- "You say things about me only my enemies would say. I should just stop telling you about things." And he does this.




Resolution: (This is the third and final step. Act III.)
Carson is sniffing around thinking of taking her back... but she has discovered he has been unfaithful over the summer and in the duration has gotten to know Alex... whether anything has happened with him or not she knows she cannot go back to Carson. - she is attracted to Alex and no longer to Carson and she has been around Alex, as well as Myra and Thomas, long enough to see how good things can really be in a healthy relationship and she wants that for herself. Love is possible.

*Also Carson has gotten his new girlfriend pregnant - she traps him into marrying her by getting pregnant. Poetic Justice.

Onto Outline Revision #3

I have done this and the timeline into Scrivener.




*Bullet* Bonus: Chronological Timeline â–¼

Add a chronological timeline to your revised outline, using whatever measure of time is appropriate in your story. See this example composed by JK Rowling while outlining one of her famous Harry Potter novels.


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** Signature for 2015 Game of Thrones Challenge - Dark Drreamscapes Group Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862490