*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862968-Assignment-13--Backstory-for-Minor-Character
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #2059771
ASSIGNMENTS FOR NANO PREP
#862968 added October 15, 2015 at 8:20am
Restrictions: None
Assignment 13: Backstory for Minor Character.

“Get out!”
“Mom, I’m sorry.”
“Get out! I’m too angry to talk to you right now. Just leave!”
“For how long?” Kathy hated the sound of her voice when she whined. She hated her name. She hated this house --
The sound of the slap resonated. Kathy’s hand snaked up to caress her cheek that was developing a welt from the rings that encased her mother’s hand. She had to keep telling herself not to cry and not to run as she exited the house.
Kathy picked her things off the lawn and shoved them in the suitcase that had sailed out the window shortly before the argument. As the last item was tucked away in a duffle bag, Kathy took a moment to assess her situation. What did her mother expect her to do with only a high school education and an infant – Warren!
Mrs. Young yanked the door open, “Stop pounding on the door and stop shouting! You’re drawing attention.
Hello, Mrs. Bannister! Nothing to worry about. Just some family disagreement. Have a nice day!
Kathy, stop causing a commotion. You go find a friend to stay with. You have gone too far, and I am done. Stick a fork in me, I am done!”
“Mom, I just need to get Warren and his things.”
“He is not going anywhere.”
“But he’s my son.”
“That may be, but you can’t take care of yourself, let alone a baby. Your dad and I can provide for him until you decide if you are coming or going.”
Kathy stared at the door for a few minutes, her ears still ringing. She did not think her mother was that strong. The door was slammed so hard it vibrated and even splintered a section of the door jamb. Kathy dialed the number for Warren, her baby’s father. He would know what to do. It was early morning in Australia, but she had to try. “I’m sorry, that number is out of service. If you think you have reached this number in error –“ Kathy slammed the phone shut to break the connection. Quickly brushing an errant tear from her face, she called her friend Bonnie. “Hi, Bonnie. Kate, here. Mom kicked me out. I need a place to crash for a couple days until things calm down.
Thanks, do you still have that car?
Yeah, the one that eats oil like candy. Can you pick me up?
On second thought, is Jim still in town or has he left for Denver?
Okay. Do you think he wants company?
We’ll talk more when you get here. Thanks.”
Kate knew this would be the last time she saw her baby. She banged on the door again. It was a risk confronting her mother when she was this angry. “Mom, I’m going to try to get a ride with Bonnie’s brother to Denver. Let me see Warren before I go. I don’t know when I will get to see him again.”
"You are not taking him with you. And you are not welcome in this house until you figure out how to be a decent mother. If you wait here, I'll get you a picture."
"Why do you hate me?!"
"Kathy --"
"It's Kate now."
"Kate, you could have killed Warren. Don't come back until you can be sober more than two days in a row. Do you want a picture of what you are leaving behind?"
"Sure, why not?" Kate new she sounded bored and peevish, and that her mom was just doing what she thought what was best for her son, but it did not feel like that to her.
"Here." Kate accepted the photo. She tried to thank her mother, but the door was slammed and locked before she could get words out. Kate could only shake her head. What she was leaving behind was in this photo picture her mom and dad posing by the new Mercedes and the Victorian-styled house in the background. She would be back. All she had to do was be sober for more than two days in a row. How hard could it be?


© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862968-Assignment-13--Backstory-for-Minor-Character