*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864708-This-ones-about-the-Rez-Juke-catch-up-1-of-9
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#864708 added October 31, 2015 at 5:59pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the Rez Juke catch-up (1 of 9).
** Image ID #2009874 Unavailable **


What's up you guys? Here we are, Day 15 of the "Resurrection Jukebox, and I've written six entries for it so far. I declared myself all but out participating and completing it this year, because I have a pretty good idea about how I work and how occasionally I'm prone to giving up. And then I came across Cinn 's newsfeed post this afternoon ("Note: I've added a new entry to my book, [Link To I...") and she started today even further behind than I've fallen...so ok, I can do this. I've never posted nine blog entries in one day before...but the plus side to that is that they'll all be a lot shorter, because I'm only talking about my Resurrection Jukebox picks. Hopefully, this'll go by quickly. So without further ado...

Gob and magic tricks...errrr, illusions.
Shame on you if you don't get this reference.


I love Rage Against The Machine. I've probably embedded any one of their videos at least ten times...maybe 20 (which isn't a lot and is probably a low estimate, considering I've written almost 1,100 blog entries in my non-paying blogging career), and in each instance I've probably carried on longer than necessary about that one time my boy DMFM and I drove to Pittsburgh from Buffalo to see them live with the Wu-Tang Clan (seriously, an amazing concert), got lost on the way home, stopped in the middle of the night at an Eat'n Park (and had easily one of the best late-nite dining experiences ev-arrrhhh), blew out the brakes on my Chevy Beretta halfway home, and still managed to not die through all of it (which is important, because Dave had a dream the night before that ended up with us in an ambulance, freaking him the fuck out). And we stopped on the way to the Starlake Amphitheater at some shady small-time mechanic's garage to double-check our directions, where we were promptly greeted by a disgruntled man covered in a day's worth's work's dirt flashing a hook for a hand. I'm pretty sure Dave exclaimed "Zoinks!" and when he started running back toward the car, the sidewalk under him bunched up like a cheap rug and there was that noise that Shaggy and Scooby-Doo always make when they start running but can't get goin' fast enough.

And those are just the major points of that particular day...which have nothing to do with this song.

There are a few decent RATM covers floatin' around, mostly thanks to the b-sides of some of their early singles and the quasi-crappy covers album/contractual obligation they released before first breaking up, Renegades (and seriously, if this might be the one time I ever wish death on someone, I'm going big and saying the only reason I'd ever want Bob Dylan to die is so I can post the Rage cover of "Maggie's Farm" in a Soundtracker Challenge, because that song is a beast). The biggest problem I have with Renegades today, for the purpose of the Rez Juke, is that many of the artists represented in the songs I like most on that album are still alive (even if Rage itself has been pretty much defunct for like a decade, give or take).

That's why I'm going with their version of the MC5's "Kick Out The Jams"...it's not a bad song, even though Zack de la Rocha pretty much fronts this like he's had too many beers on karaoke night and swears he knows the words by heart. It has heart, which any good interesting karaoke singer should possess. And I'm only posting this particular live cut because it's paired with one of my all-time favorite RATM blasts, "Bulls On Parade" (which was coincidentally the test cd I used whenever I had a new stereo or speakers put in that same Beretta...or any other car since Evil Empire came out, for that matter).


"Well I feel pretty good
and I guess that I could get crazy now baby."
Lyrics.  

© Copyright 2015 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864708-This-ones-about-the-Rez-Juke-catch-up-1-of-9