*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868658-Blue-Christmas
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#868658 added December 16, 2015 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
Blue Christmas

Five more days until the shortest day of the year and the official start of winter. It is so dark, damp and dreary in England it will be a bonus to think the daylight hours will slowly start lengthening again.

I can well appreciate the need for some colour and lights at this depressing time. Of course with the approach of the season I love to hate there is no shortage of decorative displays and flashing lights wherever we go, but hand on heart I confess I find many of them distasteful, crass and downright irritating. What has happened to good taste and tradition?

Much as I'm no Christmas fan, I always have and always will be responsible for decorating the home. I don't particularly enjoy it and question every year why I do it, but as with most things at this time of year it's expected and mine is not to reason why. I rarely spend anything on new decorations and many are things I've made myself. I consider our decorations to be tasteful, traditional and not over the top. Although they aren't my favourite colours I consider red, green and gold truly representational of Christmas and the warmth of these shades comforting and suitable for the season. White, silver and blue are pretty, wintery and cool and I have no objection to these colours for those who prefer them.

However, the trend for outdoor decorations and lights seems to increase each year and much as it may help lift some of the dreariness it's not something I'd contemplate doing. This year I'm already cursing those in my neighbourhood who have inflicted their displays on me. From the lounge we have the view of a tree in the window of the house opposite. From the kitchen we can always see the obnoxious treehouse half way up the garage wall that the mad man over the fence decided to build with no consideration that it directly overlooks our garden. This year both the tree opposite our front and the treehouse at the back are covered in blue flashing lights.

Blue is one of my favourite colours. I wear it a lot and much of my home decor is blue. BUT it is not and never will be a Christmas colour in my humble opinion. The only things blue, flashing lights remind me of are emergency vehicles, particularly ambulances and I've seen enough of those in my life to never want to see a blue, flashing light ever again.

Bah Humbug yet again.

© Copyright 2015 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868658-Blue-Christmas