*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873945-Have-some-food-and-eat-it-too
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#873945 added February 16, 2016 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
Have some food and eat it too!
Do you read food labels? Do you ever spend time researching some of the odd names they use to disguise the ingredients? I've included a link for your reading pleasure or maybe displeasure *FacePalm*


*Cake2* Red Dragon *Hotair3*

Yes I read food labels. I read Prevention magazine which does some articles about food labels. I have never researched the subject but have read other articles about the dangers of some ingredients in food. Many years ago my family stopped buying any ice cream that did not have the "real seal" on it. We could taste the difference in the product.

My husband has sugar diabetes II so we check out labels regularly. One time I was shopping on a payday. An elderly lady came up to me. She leaned over and said, "Do you read all the labels on things you buy?" She had been shopping in the same aisles as I and noticed me reading labels. We had quite a lively conversation about grocery shopping that day.

Another time, I was shopping for Yogurt in Walmart. I only buy plain yogurt. A lady came up to me and asked me why I was buying plain yogurt? I explained that the Walmart brand had so much sweetener in it you can't taste the yogurt. She asked me the how I flavored the yogurt. The beauty of plain yogurt is you can throw fresh cleaned fruit in it and it does not need much else. I do like to put in some real vanilla and a small amount of sweetener sometimes. Then I know how much and what kind of sweetener is in it.

I caused a family argument when I picked up unsweetened apple sauce. The father of a family wanted to know why I buy unsweetened apple sauce. They were loading sweetened from the shelf next to the unsweetened into their cart. I explained that most apple sauce does not need to be sweetened and if it needs to be sweeter you can change it by adding your own and you know what you have used and how much you used. He turned to his wife and said, "Did you here that honey. lets buy unsweetened." Fellas don't ever pull this stunt on your wife in a grocery store." *Laugh* I turned the corner quickly before the smoke coming out of the woman's ears became a full fledged fire. I really did not blame her he was very undiplomatic and just being too friendly. I did not see her until the conversation end. *Pthb*

A lot of people share information in grocery stores. Most people are suspicious of the products we buy. Commercials and news broadcasts encourage the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables, which can also be contaminated with other products to enhance them on the shelves.

One of my sons worked part time stocking vegetables in a grocery store. The cucumbers and tomatoes were rubbed with vegetable oils to make them more vibrant on the shelves. He said there were many other ways the displays were livened up to sell the products.

Now go out and have a good time grocery shopping. *BigSmile*

© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/873945-Have-some-food-and-eat-it-too