*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874228-Timberwolves-At-New-Jersey
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2072393
The catch-all for items related to and/or inspired by the music that shaped me.
#874228 added February 18, 2016 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
Timberwolves At New Jersey
** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **
This week's theme: Soundtracks


I'm totally cheating skirting the rules a little today, but you'll have that. I almost went with Taking Back Sunday's "This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know)"   because it came up randomly the other day and it was on one of the recent (like, within the last decade) Spiderman soundtracks, but then I remembered that my memories of both the movie and the song kinda suck, so I decided to look around and see if TBS was in any other movies.

And they were...I'd forgotten about Beer: The Movie  , but I've never seen it (even though I did buy the soundtrack   because seriously, it's got a great collection of bands I'm into). And "Your Own Disaster"   is an amazing acoustic ballad, but I've probably written all I've needed to say about that enough already over the years.

So "Timberwolves At New Jersey"...not an NBA game, and not in a movie, but the video is shot as if it were a theatrical trailer for a horror flick. That counts, because I'm saying so *Smirk*. And the album it's from, Tell All Your Friends   probably always makes the list of my top 10 favorite records of all-time. Incredible lyrics and sonically powerful. By far TBS' best album.

It's disappointing when a band starts out as just something your small circle of friends enjoys- like it's your own little secret- and then it gets co-opted by the masses and overcommercialized. I was at their infamous 2002 show in Buffalo when the lead singer fell off the stage   and wound up breaking his leg...I swear, my boy DMFM and I had to be the oldest people there. It was legit awkward...we didn't even stay through the entire thing. TBS was the second-to-last band to play, and we split after their set; we missed the whole accident happening. We weren't into the headliners anyway, and I think we just wanted to beat the downtown post-concert traffic. And Dave was pretty hammered by that point, so it was in our best interests to leave when we did because drunk Dave surrounded by teenage girls probably would not have ended well. *Laugh*

And then there's the whole Emo thing. I guess there are people who would classify TBS as Emo, but it's also possible there are a lot of the same people who don't know what Emo means. I don't know if I'd consider them Emo. Some songs, maybe...lyrically, definitely. But it's not sad bastard slit your wrists music. It's too pop-punk for that. We could probably ponder and debate it all day, but why bother? Conversations like that typically end up as pissing fights, with everyone taking sides and thinking their opinion is more right and everyone involved just comes off as pretentious music snobs. I hate those dicks. And I'm probably one of 'em *Smirk2*.


"Literate and stylish. Kissable and quiet. Well, that's what girls' dreams are made of.
And that's all you need to know...you have it or you don't."
Lyrics.  

© Copyright 2016 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874228-Timberwolves-At-New-Jersey