*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876709-Respect-the-Reader
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#876709 added March 16, 2016 at 11:14pm
Restrictions: None
Respect the Reader
Part of a writer's responsibility is to read. A lot, both in and outside the chosen genre.

Many have suggested that a writer should include published books similar to their own when querying agents and publishers. This helps the agent/publisher determine where the prospective book belongs on the bookstore shelf (or online category).

Along with researching agents, I've also been researching books in my chosen genre, so I can pick a few likely candidates similar to mine.

I found one that looked promising. Before I purchase any book, I look at the reviews, usually the negative, or more critical ones, and see if it's worth my time and money.

The critical reviews of this particular book were few and far between, but what concerned me was one of the author's responses:

"Considering that the eight novel series has sold more than twenty million copies in 13 languages, and was praised as "Landmark Science Fiction" by Publishers Weekly and Locus Magazine, I suppose Chris and I were probably doing something a little bit right."

No one likes to be criticized, and this is especially true of writers. We are a sensitive lot. Because we pour so much of our heart and soul into our writing, it's difficult not to bristle at harsh criticism. Lashing out at it is a near insatiable temptation.

But writers must refrain, and approach criticism with a rational and humble attitude. There is but one reason we must do so:

We write not for ourselves alone, but for the reader. Readers are the ultimate decider in an author's success or failure. Without them, an author can't succeed. Their opinion matters. Sure, not all criticism should carry such weight that the author must change how or what he/she writes, because not all readers share the same opinions about what's good writing and/or storytelling.

It's a matter of respect. The author's response above was a figurative slap across the reader's face. It shows both a lack of respect, and an arrogance. The author basically said the reader's opinion wasn't worth a fly's poop, and worse, he accused the reader of not knowing what he was talking about; that he was stupid.

If it were me, I would have either not responded or said something like, "I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as you expected. I hope that you'll give my subsequent books a chance." I would then offer them a coupon or free sample of the next book with the request for another honest review.

As a reader, I would not only gain more respect for the author, but would also take him/her up on the offer. And if I do like the next book, the author will have gained a loyal reader. Even if I don't like the next book, I'd more likely try a third time if for no other reason than the author cared enough to appreciate my opinion, and responded positively to it (even if the author didn't necessarily agree with it).

Because of the author's response to the review, I didn't purchase the book. Nor will I consider buying any of his others; I don't care how good they are. No author who holds their readers in contempt deserves my money.

© Copyright 2016 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876709-Respect-the-Reader