*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876842-Taking-the-Fork
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#876842 added March 18, 2016 at 7:08pm
Restrictions: None
Taking the Fork
I gave my hands to God when I was sixteen for him to use as he sees fit. It's the talent he gave me, and I understood at that moment that everything I write is for him and his glory.

The main reason I wrote my first novel came from discontent with both Christian fiction and mainstream science fiction.

Christian fiction at the time was all geared toward the "middle-aged Christian housewife." Most of what was on the market could only be categorized as Christian romance.

Most science fiction I've read -- especially futuristic/space travel -- is written with the premise that there is no God, or it's some form of uncaring and ethereal "universe" or "force."

I lamented my frustrations to God one day, and he responded with, "Then you write it."

So I did.

Ten years later I find myself at a crossroads. Even though many Christian publishers are taking science fiction, few will touch mine. Why? Because my characters, even the protagonists, do things that the publishers simply won't accept. Many drink, some are drug addicts, two are gay, and almost all of them aren't virgins. They also swear. (Why that's "bad" is described in the linked articles below).

I also wrote two other novels that are geared more toward the mainstream market. God plays no central role (if he plays a role at all).

I want to see them published, but with that desire came confusion and a real spiritual struggle.

By writing secular fiction where God makes no appearance, how can my words, then, glorify God? Am I instead using the gifts he gave me for my own selfish purposes, thereby thrusting God into the back seat, if not outright kicking him to the curb? How is that right?

But then I read this article by Simon Morden, a British author: http://www.simonmorden.com/about/essays/sex-death-and-christian-fiction/

He wrote that in 2005, but revisited the subject in 2011: http://www.simonmorden.com/about/essays/where-are-we-now-sex-death-and-christian...

Both are long, but more than worth the time. By the end of the first article I wanted to cry. The author's words were exactly what I needed to hear. He also expressed my own frustrations with the Christian book market much, much better than I ever could.

In short, he said one can still be a Christian -- to write for God -- without writing specifically for the Christian market. They're not mutually exclusive.

That's not to say I'm giving up on my Christian novels, because I'm sure there is a publisher out there willing give them a chance. I believe those stories need to be told.

But neither is God asking me to pigeon-hole my writing, to restrain myself and my passions, to silence one story or character in favor of another deemed more appropriate by a certain publisher or specialized market. I can write for both Christian and mainstream markets -- even if it means using two nom de plumes. Based on those articles, and many other "signs" I've received in the last two weeks alone, I know I'm on the right path. Or should I say "paths."

As Yogi Berra said (as a play on words, originally), "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

I'm taking it. Them.

© Copyright 2016 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876842-Taking-the-Fork