*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877201-WDC-appreciation
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#877201 added March 23, 2016 at 1:16pm
Restrictions: None
WDC appreciation
Hey, WDC is a community! Check out my friend 's contest, "I Heart WdC Contest" , and tell us what you like about WDC. Make some recommendations, get us more involved, and maybe find out a few things or meet some people you haven't already!

A signature owl


I tried to remember how I learned about WDC but, I really can’t.

The reason I first started a membership was because of the online portfolio. I thought If I would keep my writing at WDC it would be safer. The first membership I signed up was the free one. The portfolio is useful because you can just submit to job opportunities online without carrying around something heavy from place to place.

In the beginning I had a dial-up connection. Things were always happening to the dial-up and to my computer. I had a systematic dysfunctional life. I was looking for a job, caring for my grandchildren, going along with family needs, and fighting the phone company to keep the line working. We had an ongoing joke that if your telephone line was working and you saw the phone company maintenance truck on the road you were going to lose your phone connection.

One of the really first things that solidified my WDC time was a scavenger game for newbie's. Even though I could not keep up, with the game properly, because of computer problems, I learned many things about WDC while I played the game.

I like the fact that WDC is not a simple website to maneuver. It actually needs WDC 101 to train members. The fact that you can go to the different places to learn facts about the website is very nice. It sometimes reminds me of a college. Where all the information to participate is available but, sometimes you have to find it.

Another thing that has meant a great deal to me is the surprises that sometimes arrive in the mail. Some years WDC is the only one who acknowledges my birthday. Plus, I have other little snail mail gifts, A small calendar taped to my desk within reach and different postcards taped up to remind me to write. The little encouragements I received from the staff are really the only writing encouragements I have.

I like the gift points. It gives me an opportunity to help others with gifts and reminds me to help others.

I like the rules for reviewing. Good reviewing of writing helps writers edit their work.

Some year I decided it I was going to actually write I should upgrade. Over the years I have dabbled at WDC. It was not until last year when I went virtual camping with the 30-day Challenge that I started putting in a couple hours a day at WDC.

I thought about blogging before and started a blog with google. I was reviewing books then. Now, on WDC I try to review 5 books a month with the Monthly Reading Challenge. And I blog.

During the birthday bash for WDC I stumbled across Horizons Academy and I just finished an 8 week course called “Reeling in the Readers”. It was a course in fiction writing. I took one course in college for creative writing. This course however was extremely organized and gave me a better background. I recommend Horizons Academy, it is an excellent place to find courses that upgrade writing knowledge.

During October Nano Prep 2015, I started a novel and continued writing it during November. Now with the new information from my writing course I will put in time to complete it.

WDC represents the best of democracy giving everyone an ability to speak up; hopefully, without leaving behind to many fragments of irritation. I still feel like a newbie but that is another plus because the more I use my membership the more seasoned I become. The WDC community presents people with life. Write on!

© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877201-WDC-appreciation