*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877702-Spiritual-Millstones
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#877702 added March 28, 2016 at 2:30pm
Restrictions: None
Spiritual Millstones
More thoughts on the articles by Simon Morden:

"CBA authors and editors censor fiction not just because of its potential to offend, but because it offers vicarious experiences that may be seen as sinful. If we believe that sin occurs in the mind as well as in behaviour, any vicarious experience we read about might give rise to sinful feelings or thoughts. If I write a sex scene, which might be entirely necessary to the story, I have to find a way to write it that does not encourage lustful thoughts. A description of a murder must not encourage murderous thoughts, and so on." - Simon Morden

This isn't even the second entry where I criticize the Christian market. I wrote one back in 2013 entitled "Disallowing the Bible." (You can read it here: http://almarquardt.com/blog/?p=549 ).

The main point of that entry is this: If you look at the guidelines of most Christian or CBA publishers, most of them would reject the Bible.

As Mr. Morden pointed out in his second article, most CBA publishers use Philippians 4:8 as the cornerstone of their guidelines:

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (NIV)

I will add this one to it, because I think it matches more closely to the mindset of some CBA publishers, and what Mr. Morden described in the quote above:

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." Matthew 18:6

It seems that CBA publishers don't trust their readers (or the readers don't trust themselves). It's as if they see them as weak-minded little children with no conscience or moral fabric; that the moment they read about the tiniest wrong word or sinful deed, their readers will turn into drunken, sex-addicted murderers who suffer from Tourette Syndrome.

The Bible is full of examples of every sin imaginable, from the cringe-worthy to the horrific, and yet people who read it don't turn into monsters. Many instead find God, faith, forgiveness, change and hope. They become better people as a result.

I don't think any writer (or at least a minuscule percentage) -- regardless of genre -- is trying to force a person to violate his/her conscience. It's ridiculous on the face of it, because even if the writer did want to, it would be near impossible to accomplish -- unless that particular reader is already in mental distress that causes them to be easily influenced. But that's a huge exception, and extremely rare when it does happen.

To take an example, I read a book recently with some rather explicit sex scenes. Was I titillated by it? Sure. But I didn't go to find some strange guy to sleep with as a result, and any sinful fantasies I may have had, well that's between me and God. And even if I did, is that the author's fault, or mine? I am responsible for my thoughts and actions. To blame an author whom I've never met for it, now that's just silly.

I'm not writing for children. Most CBA authors aren't writing for children (unless they write children's books), so why does it seem as though the bulk of CBA publishers are treating their readers like children in need of protection? Do they fear God is going to judge them with a spiritual millstone around their neck for "causing young (and old) believers to stumble"?

Or a better question: Why do so many of their readers feel they need to be protected like children? What are they afraid of?

© Copyright 2016 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877702-Spiritual-Millstones