*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878162
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#878162 added March 19, 2020 at 1:42pm
Restrictions: None
Starting Right
I worked in forestry most of my adult life and early in my career I was a timber cruiser. Timber cruising is an activity where lines are drawn on a map for a delineated area of forest land, and then with map and compass in hand, a 2-person crew would follow those lines while measuring a sample of trees.

On one particular day, my coworker and I were "running a line" though the woods. We had driven out to the spot where the line began and then starting hiking through the woods, measuring trees as we went. With a map and compass, we always knew where we were, or at least pretty close to where we thought we were.

By afternoon, we had measured a lot of trees, but suddenly ran into a problem. Our surroundings didn't match where we were supposed to be. We stood scratching our heads, looking around at the hillsides covered with trees and then back to the map. No feature was where it was supposed to be. Then my co-worker looked up and said, "I found us, we're quarter mile off from where we we're supposed to be." We had started the line at the wrong place and all our work had been in vain.

It's the same with our walk with Christ. How do we begin our day? When we wake in the morning, do all the worries of the day suddenly come crashing in on us? We start running through our to-do list as soon as we slam off the alarm. We think about how to approach a certain task as we take a shower. We mumble about what a tough day we're going to have over breakfast. And then we look at our watch in frustration as we're rushing out the door.

Even all those tasks we start during the day begin with an appraisal of how we are going to do it, what we need to accomplish it, who's expert help we might need. Everything we do is tied into how we can be successful accomplishing a task ... or all the tasks that need to be done that day. Except, of course, the one thing that will bring us peace, a calm attitude, and a sense of happiness to be doing something that brings us blessings—asking Christ to guide us and walk with us.

We tend to start out wrong, and when we do that, we end up off the map. There are many ways to start your day in a way that includes Christ, none of which are either right or wrong. Only the fact that He is included matters. You may lay in bed for a few moments and offer a silent prayer as you ask for help during the day. You may get up and read a devotional, spend a long time in fervent prayer, or do a short bible study. You may find another way to bring Christ into your daily routine because, plain and simple, He wants to be there with you.

When we begin a task and think of all those things that need to be accomplished, do we include a prayer for help and guidance? If not, we are counting exclusively on our own skills to do it. Is it any wonder, then, that when things go wrong we get angry, anxious, or frustrated? We have forgotten that the first task on our list is to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Certainly things may continue to go wrong, but if Christ is there helping us, it won't matter because we know that his Kingdom is more important than any earthly kingdom we try to build.

So next time you begin something, ask Christ to help you through. He is your map and compass and will help you even if you get lost. But If you start right, you have a better chance of finishing right. At least all your work won't be in vain, because every step with Christ here on Earth is a step closer to your walk in Heaven.


So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
– Matthew 6:31-33


© Copyright 2020 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878162