*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878472
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#878472 added April 22, 2024 at 5:34pm
Restrictions: None
Beware the Fisherman
I love to fish ... all kinds of fish in all kinds of places. I've fished in clear running streams, in fast-flowing rivers, on clear glassy lakes, in surf, and even in muddy ponds. That's hardly the extent of experiences a fisherman can encounter, but it's enough to discover that varying kinds of fish, in diverse environments, respond very differently to the kind of bait that's used. Not only that, but the depth of the water, the time of day, the weather conditions, and so on, all contribute in selecting the right bait to lure the fish. To fish successfully with a line takes a comprehensive grasp of all these characteristics.

During the time of Jesus, line fishing was not common. Most fishing was done with a net, but line fishing was known to have occurred, particularly in the Sea of Galilee. A common fish there is the musht, which lays eggs in the spring and then carries them in their mouth for three weeks to mature. Afterward, they suck up pebbles from the lake floor to keep the small fish from returning. Coins from lake bottom have often been found in the mouths of musht.

At one time Jesus was talking to the apostle Peter regarding the payment of taxes. That’s an area that can lead many of us to sin, either toward anger over them or in attempting to avoid paying them. In this case, Jesus found an uncommon way to obtain the tax. He told Peter to cast his line into the water, and the first fish he caught would yield the tax for both He and Peter in its mouth. That’s a unique solution to the problem. Wouldn't we all like to find our taxes in the mouth of a fish. The miracle is not that Jesus knew the characteristics of the fish—that it picks up coins—but that he knew there would be a coin in the first fish that Peter caught and what the amount would be.

Jesus was well aware of the actions of the fish, like any good fisherman. Satan as well has knowledge of how "his fish" react in order to catch us. Every person is different, with a variety of weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Satan, a master fisherman, knows our weaknesses—our desires—and uses them in an attempt to corrupt us. He knows what we will charge after almost greedily, unthinking. Sometimes it doesn't take much to catch fish that are seriously hungry.

Satan stands gleefully on the shore as if partaking in some kind of other-worldly recreational activity. The bait he tempts us with is of little value to him because he already owns them. It could be money, fine clothing, a shiny new car, a computer, power, and so on. He possesses everything that is of the earth, at least for now. We, however, have something he doesn’t have—our soul, which he wants to consume greedily.

We must be reminded constantly that Satan is always fishing for souls, ever watchful as he patrols the shoreline, searching for a means to tempt us at our weakest points, using the right kind of bait suited for each of us. If he fails, he returns like any good fisherman to try again. The most valuable asset for fishing, after all, is patience. To survive spiritually, we must become wary of his appetite and diligence. More importantly, we need Jesus, the game warden, to chase this fisherman away.


But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.
– Matthew 17:27


Keywords: Bait, Fishing, Satan


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878472